Chapter 23: Muffins (Collin)

I smiled down at the silver werewolf curled up on the couch. Jed shoved a handful of chips in his mouth. I eyed the red-haired boy. Had he even moved today? Jed washed everything in his mouth down with soda. The human hadn't even acknowledged that I was even there. His attitude worried me. I didn't want Milo to turn out like Jed. The human clearly still had a probably with werewolves. I had expected Axil to have done something about it by now, but maybe the beta found it charming for some reason.

"Are you just going to stare at him?" said Jed. "You're creeping me out."

"How'd it go?"

Jed shrugged. "He wandered around a bit and then watched TV with me. I figured I'd break him in early to the exciting life of a mate to a higher up."

"Hmm..." I carefully pulled off the blanket around Milo. "Did he eat?"

Jed shrugged. "I told him to. I figured if he's older than me, then he knows how to feed himself."

Midfield raised the strangest humans. No wonder they were having trouble with rebellions and slaves running off. A Wolfsbane human would never do anything so stupid. Kneeling, I slipped my arms under my tired little mate. He was adorable. Subs were the perfect the werewolves.

Milo's eyes opened for a second. With a small smile, he put his arms around my neck and fell back asleep.

"Werewolves like you creep me out," said Jed, crunching on a chip. "He looks like he's twelve. That's just gross."

My ears bent back and I bared my fangs at him. "He's short for a human and subs naturally look younger because of their size. Milo is a grown man so I better not find out you're harassing him because he's small for his age."

Jed slumped down into the cushion. "Sorry, okay. My older brother isn't much bigger than him. It's just weird to see this giant creature and then a tiny little white werewolf."

"White?" I arched a brow. "Your brother is the mate to the successor of Midfield, correct?"

Jed nodded. "He has some red too. A big diamond in the middle of his forehead," he laughed. "He hates it so much. That's the worse marking in the world."

"You have white on your forehead. I've seen the pictures."

Rolling his eyes, Jed picked up the soda bottle. "At least, it's not a damn diamond."

"Tell Axil, I'll be back in the morning to drop Milo off."

"So you're trusting me with the kid?" He motioned to the silver werewolf in my arms.

"If this is what you do all day, I don't think you're much of a threat."

I walked to the door and a servant opened for me. We took the elevator down a couple of floors. Humans were carrying things into our new apartment. I didn't know if I like living so close to my boss. I didn't like having Axil for a boss, to be honest.

Carrying Milo inside, I took him to the bedroom. Thankfully, the bed had already been set up and made. I laid him down in the middle of it.

His eyes opened again. "Master?"

"Hey." I smoothed back his fur. "How was your day?"

Milo shrugged. "We watched TV. I fell asleep. I'm really tired for some reason."

"All the adrenaline and excitement is catching up with you."

"How did it go at the estate?"

"My mom wasn't there. Ari was upset, but I told her we have a guest room waiting for her whenever she wants to visit."