Chapter 51: A Similar Case

I fell face-first onto my bed.

"How'd it go?" asked Case, smirking at me from across the room.

"I'm mating the next Alpha General."

"The next what?"

I lifted my head. "Bruce will be over the armed forces. His family lives on the main base in Northern Ridge."

"Oh, wow." He sucked in his lips. "And you're going to be his mate? The one dominant who's never done a day of training in his life." A smile slipped out.

Rolling my eyes, I turned onto my side. "Exactly. Bruce already said he doesn't want my training either."

"Lucky," breathed Case. "I need me a dominant like that."

"I'm not marked yet." I arched a brow.

Case scoffed. "Bruce is looking for someone a bit higher caliber than me. I hate training. The others use it as an excuse to push around anyone weaker than them."

"You can probably outrun them?"

He nodded. "Yeah, I scored well on that one component. Then the officer over our group yells at me because I suck at everything else. Like, what do you want from me? I'm tallish and skinny. I'm not going to be able to throw someone twice my size on the ground, no matter my rank."

"I'm content becoming a house-husband."

"You'd suck at it," Case replied. "You're not good at cleaning. Do you know how to cook?"

"My aunt doesn't clean. Someone else cooks as well. They have a whole crew."

"Yeah, alphas have humans to do that. You sure do have it made," he breathed.

"I'll keep my eye out for a mate for you."

He shook his head. "We can only hope someone will be interested."

I started to laugh, making Case look at me confused.

"What?"

"We sound like subs."

Case smiled slightly and tossed a pillow at me. "Shut up."

I continued laughing. "Bruce wants to come to my swim meets."

He shrugged. "Is that good or bad?"

"I don't know yet. It was going to be my big year of getting to go places alone."

"Will Bruce allow that?"

"We'll see. I have to sweet-talk my coaches into not punishing me for skipping practices first."

"Good thing you did swimming. They'd kick you off the team on any other."

"I was in mourning." I tossed his pillow back to him. "I think they might understand."

***

"So I'm sorry about missing." I kept my eyes lowered. "I was going through a lot, and I know I have a lot to make up for."

Coach Walker stood with his arms folded.

"I would like to be on the team, and I promise I'll get my headset right and work really hard."

He turned and went through the papers on the desk. Pulling one out, he handed it to me. "P.e. hours. Between that and practice, you're going to be living here." He flashed me a smirk and handed it to me. "The only thing I'm annoyed with is that I have to hand over one of the best swimmers I ever trained to Northern Ridge. It pisses me off when I think about it."

I scanned the paper. "Not by choice." I had more hours to make up than I thought.

"Let's make the most of this year and maybe"—he sighed—"just maybe I'll cheer for Northern Ridge ever once in a while."

Nodding, I took a deep breath. "Do you still think I'll be able to make the national team?"

"Midfield is ready to recruit you now, and we kicked NR's assed at the last world competition."

I tried not to smile.

"The Midfield head coach called me. He couldn't believe it when your engagement was entered into the pack system. He was furious. They have the sprints pretty well covered but struggle in the mid to long distances."

"My races."

He nodded. "That's why he was pissed." He clasped my arm. "Practice tomorrow at seven."

"I'll be there." I folded the paper in half. "Do you have the meet schedule yet?"

Coach Walker nodded. He shuffled through the stacks and found a few papers with dates. "I have a digital copy I can send you."

"This is fine." I took out my phone and took a picture. "Bruce wants it."

"Bruce?"

"My fiance." My shoulders dropped. "It's weird to say."

He nodded. "I was arranged."

I perked up. "Really?"

"Yep." He sat on his desk. "I'm not coaching this team because there's no one else who wants the job." He pointed to the wall that had images and medals spread across it. "I swam professionally for a few years overseas. I caught my mate's interest, and I found myself in Midfield swimming for the team here."

"Wow." I swallowed hard. "I never knew that. Like I knew about you being professional but not the other stuff."

He shrugged. "It was hard at first. I was not happy. He took me from my team and pack and I felt like I couldn't do anything to stop it. I was mad."

"I know the feeling."

"I came to love the man, though. He gave me everything." Coach Walker laughed. "He even got me this job. Bringing it up kind of hurts him. It makes him think that I still have resentment toward him. I don't, by the way, but I don't talk about it for that reason. I'm telling you because you're going through the same thing. You're not alone, Rudy. Packs are still fighting for power, and alliances are a part of that. I'd prefer it if this didn't leave this room. My mate works in administration at the university, and somehow, the academy drama finds its way over there to him. He knew all about you not showing up to practice before I even told him."

I laughed to myself. "I won't tell anyone. I kind of messed up with Bruce already. I apologized, but I said too much."

"I called my mate every dirty name in the book and a few new ones I came up with on the spot." He glanced at the photo on his desk. "And that was after he marked me. The connection was there, and I said and did anything I could to hurt him. Don't be like me. The moment Bruce marks you"—he motioned to my shoulder—"you're going to become his world, and you can crush it pretty easily."

Nodding, I let out a deep breath. "Thanks." I waved the paper as I headed for the door. "Thanks for letting me know about your mate, too."

Coach Walker shrugged. "I'm here if you need me."

"Tomorrow at seven." I stepped into the hall.

He eyed me. "Don't be late." 

____________________

Feel free to Link, Comment, and Share! Full Story is complete on Patreon (link on my profile); more is available on Radish Fiction.