Chapter 20: A Rift in the Family (Milo)

"Come on, let's go."

The werewolf yanked me out of the van and led me into a large warehouse. "Move." He grabbed my arm and dragged me through the garage to a doorway.

Other werewolves, with light colored fur, were lined up on the other side. I was placed at the end and the man who had brought me here went to talk to some others. Another omega bumped into me as he was pushed into line. His ears splayed to the side and he rubbed his reddened eyes. The boy was visibly shaking. Where all of these werewolves stolen or sold off like me?

One by one, the omegas in front of me were photographed in their three forms. When it was my turn, I walked to the mark on the floor.

"Look here."

I did so and the camera flashed.

"Shift to human," she ordered.

My chest tightened. I didn't know how to change forms.

"Change, omega," she said firmly. "You can either do as your told or be forced to."

"I don't know how." I stared at my feet.

She stepped around the camera and lifted her arm. I held up my hands to protect myself as she slapped me across the face.

"Shift!"

"I—I can't." I staggered back.

"Do it now!" She hit me again, knocking me to the ground.

"I can't," I wept.

"Damn, omega." She grabbed the back of my neck and lifted me to my feet. "Shift, now!"

"I can't." I clasped my muzzle. "I don't know how. I was never taught."

The gray werewolf who had brought me here jogged over. "He's human-born."

She released me and parted my fur. "Did his mate die?"

"The family sold him off. It was a mistake mating," he replied. "I already have a buyer lined out. Don't worry about it."

Nodding, she went back behind the camera. "Get moving. Next."

Wiping my fur, I was taken upstairs and was directed into a room with bunk beds. I went to an empty one and flopped down on it. What kind of master was I going to now? Whoever it was, I was going to miss Collin. The tears came back. I thought I had a chance at a better life. It was stupid for a slave to think life could get better. Letting out a shaky breath, I hid my face in the pillow. Omegas might as well be slaves. That couldn't be more clear than being in a room full of them, waiting to be sold.

***

(Collin)

Racing up the steps, I threw open the front door. "Mother! Where the hell is my mate!"

Julie nearly dropped the tray she was holding.

"Where is my mother?" I demanded.

"The sitting room, sir."

I marched down the hall and kicked open the door.

My mother jumped. Jaze froze in her seat.

"Where is he?" I bared my teeth. "What have you done with Milo?"

"He ran away," said Jaze in a soft voice, sitting up straight. "There's nothing we could do."

"Don't bullshit me!" I kicked the coffee table, and it slid across the floor before slamming into the wall. "Where is he!"

"Gone," stated my mother. "He's gone. So now you can start thinking clearly. One simple procedure and you can re-mate."

I slapped her. Never in my life had I lifted my hand or even thought of hurting my mother, but if she didn't tell me what they had done to Milo, I might do worse. She clasped her cheek as tears filled her eyes.