Chapter 31: Does Hector Know

I folded my blanket and put it on my suitcase. Looking around the room, I sighed at the empty walls. I was ready for summer, but I was going to miss being here.

Case threw open the door. "It's so hot outside. I'm burning." He flopped onto his bed. "I'm going to die when I have to go to training."

"I heard they do it in the mountains where it's cooler," I replied.

He sat up. "When I get done, we're hanging out. We could go swimming. Not like doing laps, but a water park with water slides. You'd kick my butt in a race." He grinned at me.

Sucking in my lips, I shrugged. My medals for the year were tucked away in one of my suitcases. None were that amazing, but I had done reasonably well for my age group."

"Are you going to stick with it?"

I nodded. "I already told my coach that I would see him next year."

Case started to laugh. "Let me guess what was in that booklet."

Rubbing my face, I glanced at my bookbag. "Summer workout plan."

"I have one from my coach as well." Case grinned at me. "Someday, I think they're trying to kill us."

"Yeah, after looking through it, I'm thinking the same thing."

Case sat up. "Well, I'm sure my brothers are going to be calling me soon. I better head down." He grabbed his last bag. "Let's hang out this weekend."

I nodded. "Sure, just let me know and I'll run it by my parents."

"See you later." He waved and headed out the door.

Standing, I went to the door. The hall was filled with suitcases and boys running about. Parents had arrived to help their kids move home. I noticed my father walking toward me.

He waved. "Hey, are you all packed?"

"Yeah." I sighed.

"Should I be offended by the lack of excitement?"

I smiled. "No, I'm ready for a break."

"It won't be that bad." He messed up my hair. "Your mother already planned some things for the summer." He grabbed my duffle bag. "We're going to have a ton of fun, so perk up, pup, and let's get you home."

***

"Engaged?" I repeated.

My mother seemed just as concerned by what my father was saying. "Max with a human? Does Hector know?"

I glanced at Drake. The mention of our grandpa and a human had put us all on edge.

"Andreas gave his approval," said my dad. "The human's tests were in the exceptional range."

"But does Hector know?" said my mom as she unloaded the dishwasher.

He shrugged. "He'll find out soon enough. It'll probably be announced soon. The boy is on the fragile side, so Max wants to confirm the mating pretty quickly."

My mother shook her head. "I hope Max knows what he's doing. I get the upper ranks are having problems when it comes to heirs, but there are other ways of going about it."

"Max made his choice, and Andreas approved. The alpha updates the human registry system for a reason. He wants fresh bloodline being worked into the upper dominants."

Sucking in her lips, she nodded. "We'll support Max in whatever he decides; I just worry about Hector taking out his frustrations on the poor boy. He's never been nice to your mother and that woman doesn't have a cruel bone in her body."