Chapter 41: Smothered (Jed)

"They wear tuxedos. All of them."

Jax leaned back on the stairs where we were sitting. "Even the like normal humans who aren't servants?"

I shrugged and rested my head against the railing. "I haven't seen much of Wolfsbane. Axil doesn't let me out much. Hell, he didn't give me any clothes until this thing." I waved my hand toward the nearly empty entryway. Most people had moved on to the banquet hall to relax and watch small entertainment acts.

I adjusted my man-skirt. "Who knows how many people I've flashed today," I laughed.

"That is one perk to all this fur." He propped up his elbow and rest his muzzle on his palm. "So what do you think? Your big brother became a werewolf."

"Loving your beauty mark," I teased, motioning to my forehead.

Jax covered the red diamond marking. "Thanks, I hope one of you has one just like it. Ricky and Maggie will be a werewolves before we know it."

Laying my head back, I peered up at the mosaic on the ceiling. "I don't hate you. I can't hate you." I made eye-contact. "Even if you're a werewolf. I was a little upset when I found out, but I was kind of in a shitty environment."

Jax scooted closer and glanced at his mate who was talking to Axil and a couple of other werewolves. "How was it on the outside?"

"Horrible," I groaned. "The food was usually rotten, everyone stunk or was smoking something. Someone with my complexion"—I motioned to my hair—"isn't mad for living in a scorching hot desert."

"Hmm..." His eyes flicked to the group at the bottom of the stairs. "Why don't you become Axil's mate then?"

"As horrible as it was, I'd still be out there if Wolfsbane hadn't destroyed my group. I want to be free. Oh, I almost forgot." I sat up. "There are free humans. There's a whole city of them with skyscrapers and everything the werewolves have. They a bunch of little ass kissers, but they're free. Isn't that amazing?"

Jax let out a sigh and peered down the steps. "I love him."

My shoulders dropped.

"I love Max. I'm happy here. I'm the mate of the next alpha. I don't feel I have a right to complain anymore. Max has given me everything, and the more I'm with him, the harder I'm falling for him."

I couldn't find the right words to say. Jax deserved to be happy. He did. He had been given a rough life, and without Max, my brother might not be alive right now. He was going downhill so fast when I left. But I wanted us to be free. I wanted to take my family and go where we could be free. I couldn't tell him that, though.

"Great." I forced a smile. "That's great."

"I'm married to a werewolf, Jed. You realize that, right?"

"Yeah. I guess not all werewolves are bad. Not all humans are that great either. I got sold off by some bitch of a woman," I muttered.

Jax laughed and smiled at me. "It's good to see you again."

"Yeah, it's good to see you too. You're walking, covered in fur, but walking."

He shook his head. "You don't have to haul me around anymore."

"I never minded it."

Axil walked up the steps to where we were sitting. "Let's go."

I stood. "I haven't seen my parents."

"We'll have to do it another time."

"They're right there." I motioned toward the banquet hall. "I can hurry in and say hi and then we can go."