Chapter 18: Blank Line

Case kicked the ball through the makeshift goal in the backyard. "Three, zip." He ran around my brother with his arms in the air.

Drake went to go and get the ball. "You're older."

"And you're going to be higher ranked," he yelled at the solid black werewolf.

"You're a dominant," my brother replied. "Rudy told me."

"Yeah, but on the lower end. You're going to be toward the high end. It's pretty easy to tell." Case turned to me. "Do you want to play?"

I shook my head. "I'm fine watching you run circles around Drake."

"We could do something else."

With a shrug, I went back to playing my handheld game. "I'm good. You have a tournament tomorrow."

Case jogged over and sat beside me. "Are you nervous?"

"No," I muttered.

"I was nervous when I got my rank." He bumped my arm. "We should ask our parents to go out afterward."

"What if it's bad?" I muttered.

"Food works both ways," he laughed. "That's what my dad says. We still get food if I win or lose a soccer game."

I nodded. "I'll ask my mom about it."

Drake arrived. "Do you want to practice with him?"

"Nope." I grinned at my brother. "I can't shift, so I'd be worse than you."

"Come on," laughed Case. He took the ball and bounced it from knee to knee. "Quit whining like a pup."

The two started another round, and it was pretty clear Case was holding back to make Drake feel better. I glanced at my game to see I had forgotten to pause it and had lost. I placed the device to the side and gripped my knees. Case didn't have to go to the alpha of Midfield. His alpha was over a sub-pack; mine was the alpha. I chewed on my thumbnail. I had no idea what my uncle was going to do. I could be a dominant, but my shifting issue might keep him from giving me the rank.

***

I stood in the hall outside the alpha's office with my parents. It was hard to stay still.

My dad put his arm around me. "You'll be fine."

I forced a smile. They were in human form. I guess it was normal since upset parents were less likely to lash out without teeth and claws. Or they were being nice.

The door opened, and my uncle smiled at me. "There's the new teenager. Are you giving your parents a hard time yet?"

I scoffed. "I get it. I have red hair."

The alpha grinned at me. "We're partial to our red werewolves. The more, the better." He stepped to the side and motioned for us to enter.

Taking the lead, I went straight to the couch and sat down in the middle of it. My parents sat on either side. My uncle took his place across from us.

"Would you like a drink?" He took a lid off a glass bottle. "Not you, pup; thirteen is good enough for a rank but not a drink."

I didn't respond to his joke. I was too nervous.

"Small glass," said my dad.

The alpha poured two glasses and glanced at my mother. She shook her head and grabbed my hand.

My uncle settled in and opened a folder with my name on it. "Aright. Let's talk about rank."

I quickly scanned the paper. I saw the word rank, and the line next to it was blank. If only it had been written in already, then I could relax.