Chapter 5: It Rhymes (Jax)

"He wants to see his parents."

I opened my eyes slowly and glanced at the werewolf at the desk. I closed them and pretended to still be asleep.

"They are his parents."

"Understandable, but I want them present with the announcement is made. I'm sure Andreas has already sent out the order to begin preparing for it. "

I peeked at him to see there werewolf rubbing his brow.

"I'm old. That's why he's in a hurry."

"I am. Twenty-seven is old, Mom, when the whole family is depending on you to produce an heir. They're tired of waiting.... I know that." He let out a sigh. "Andreas doesn't want to hear excuses." He growled as a female voice said something. "You don't give the alpha relationship excuses. He doesn't give a damn. You should know that.... I know. I know he is." He leaned back in his chair and stared at the ceiling as the woman continued to talk.

"Of course, I'm going to bring him tonight. I want your approval as well." He swayed back and forth. "He's cute. I think we'll get along well. The public will like him. They always have a soft spot for subs."

She said something to him.

"I can tell. Future alpha, remember. I can tell someone's rank fairly easy." He smiled as the voice on the other end raised in pitch. "I'm not being snarky." He laughed. "I'm not pulling rank on you either. You're my mother. I put your word before the alpha's. Just don't tell him that."

"Andreas doesn't scare me," she said in a loud voice.

Max just laughed as his mother continued. "I'll see you tonight them." He turned in his chair.

I closed my eyes and froze.

"Scared, a bit overwhelmed. He blew up on me a bit awhile ago." He tapped his fingers on the desk. "He's a redhead. They have a bit more spunk to them compared to the others."

"Well yeah, I know that's not always true, but with him it is. I know he's upset about the whole thing. He wasn't doing it out of disrespect. I told him to watch his tone, and he settled down. He'll be a good mate."

"His name?"

I perked up a little.

"Jax."

The woman's voice got higher again.

"I know it rhymes. Yeah," he muttered, "just adorable. I have some things I need to finish before coming over. Alright, bye."

I forced down the lump in my throat as the room fell still.

"Are you awake?"

"Yes."

I heard movement but didn't make an effort to look.

Max sat down on the couch across from me. "How are you feeling?"

Shaking my head, I stared at the wall.

"My mother is excited to meet you."

Pressing my lips together, I just laid there. I didn't really care if some werewolf was excited to meet me. I would never be excited to meet a werewolf.

"Are you hungry?"

My eyes shot over to him.

"That's a yes then." He stood and went to his desk and pressed something on a screen.

"Yes, Sir," said a woman's voice. "What can I do for you?"

"Food, my mate is hungry."

"Right away, Sir."