Chapter 36: Announcement (Collin)

I didn't have the heart to wake the silver werewolf in my arms. I should have known better than to put a sub in this kind of situation. Milo wasn't ready to be around the strongest members of the pack. It didn't help that he had met the patriarch. Jet had a way of sending lower ranks running.

Milo let out a sigh and slowly opened his eyes. "How long was I asleep?"

"Around an hour."

He shot upright with his eyes wide open. "The party?"

I smoothed out his headfur. "It's fine. We missed the dinner."

Milo climbed off me and fixed his clothes. "We're so late. Is the alpha going to be mad?"

I grabbed his hands and gave them a squeeze. "It's okay, Milo. They can by and I told them you were having a hard time. We're not in trouble."

He scowled at his feet. It was kind of cute, like a pouting puppy.

"This night couldn't be any more embarrassing. Everyone's going to think I'm some emotional wreck."

Laughing, I stood and adjusted my robe. "There's nothing to be embarrassed about."

"I had a panic attack because someone touched my head." He let out a heated breath and stared across the room. "Everyone treats me like a child and this isn't going to help change that."

"You're not a child, Milo." I turned his muzzle to me and gave him a kiss. "You're a sub that is finding out how rank works by meeting the top werewolves in Wolfsbane."

Taking him by the hand, I led Milo from the sitting room toward the dining hall. A mixture of voices sounded down the corridor and grew louder as we approached the door. Milo pressed into my side as he stepped into the room.

A middle rank walked over to us. "Sir, do you need help finding your table?"

I nodded. "Collin, Jamestown."

"Just a moment, sir." He hurried off to talk with another server.

Nerves were radiating from my mate.

I put my arm around his shoulders. "No one is going to hurt you."

"I know," he whispered. "There's just so many dominants."

Rubbing his arm, I drew Milo in close.

"Sir," said the middle rank. "Right this way."

We walked around the edge of the room to a table toward the front. Two empty seats were besided Axil and Jedrek. The beta's parents were also seated at the table. I led Milo over and place him in the one by Jed.

I nodded to the others. "Sorry for being late."

"Where have you been?" said Jed.

Milo kept his head bowed.

"He's a sub, Jed," I replied. "This is hard for someone of his rank."

"Hmm..." The red werewolf sunk down in his seat.

"Sir," said the middle rank. "I can bring you something to eat?"

Majority of the plates had already been cleaned up.

"I'm fine." I looked at Milo. "Do you want something?"

"No." He forced a smile for the middle rank. "No, thank you."

Scooting Milo's chair closer to mine, I put my arm around him. "Have you already made the announcement?"

Axil shook his head. "No. You missed dinner, but you get to suffer through the speeches just like everyone else."