Chapter 38: Gossip Channel (Jed)

~This chapter has an unedited version with a sexually explicit scene, which can be read for free on Radish Fiction, or on Wattpad in The Nitty Gritty which can be found on my profile~

I stretched my arms overhead. For the first time in weeks, I felt great. Grabbing a blanket, I wrapped it around me and crept to the door. I opened it and peeked into the living room. Axil wasn't there. He must've had a meeting. I slipped out of the bedroom and scanned the area. No guards, but I doubt there wasn't someone at the elevator.

Sitting down on the couch, I picked up the TV remote. Midfield barely had anything on besided news. Everything was werewolf directed. It wasn't exactly fun to watch a show where the human was always the servant.

I turned it on. A gray werewolf sat with a couple others around a table. All of them had on over the top jewelry, and two of them had on clothes. The clothing looked more like a fashion statement rather than trying to be modest. I adjusted the blanket around me. My only option for clothes my size was a servant's uniform and Axil wasn't going to allow me to be seen wearing anything not worthy of his mate.

"I didn't think taking a sub as a mate should be allowed," said a brown werewolf with golden markings. She leaned across the table. "Once you hit a certain rank, it should be expected you find someone of the same quality."

"I have some friends in Midfield and they are ecstatic." The one in the center of the table lifted her hands. "All they want to talk about is how he is so adorable. Honestly, the alpha house has released maybe two pictures of the sub and they're already obsessed with the pup."

"His blood tested amazing," said the gray werewolf. "Rank should be taken into account, but if your blood is good enough that the future alpha of Midfield wants to mark you right then and there, that's saying something."

"Jax," I whispered to myself. "I turned up the volume.

"Humans." The brown werewolf shook her head. "You can never tell with them."

"They make for a great surprise," said the smallest werewolf at the table. "Add some fresh blood."

"We'll see," said the brown werewolf. "I want some good pictures of this pup. He's always being packed around. If his legs are that messed up, why take the chance?"

"He's walking," said the gray werewolf.

"How do you know that?"

"My friend has a source that said that the alpha family has been delaying the sub's first appearance because they wanted Jax to be walking."

"Max and Jax," laughed the smallest one. "They're never going to hear the end of it."

"I'm sure the next alpha will go by Maximus," said the gray werewolf.

"I'm more concerned about our own beta," said the brown one.

I tensioned up.

"There are all these rumors going around but I think it's time the pack had some confirmation on what is going on." She lifted her shoulders. "It's not fair to us. We're depending on Axil to have an heir that can stand up against the other packs."

The multi-color werewolf who had stayed quiet through the conversation sat up. "It's the brother to Max's sub."

An audible gasp came from the audience.

"His blood tested even better." She pressed her finger into the table. "They also gave him the artificial drug to see his werewolf form."

"How do you know this?" asked the gray werewolf.