Chapter 3: Grandma

"How's he doing?"

"Just sleeping his life away," said Marcy. "But you have to because all you do is grow."

I smiled to myself and adjusted the phone in my hand. "Hector had them send out the invitations."

"Your aunt called earlier to let me know. She also wanted to make sure all of my family got one. I hope you talked to Hector about your side."

I swallowed hard. "Hmm..."

"Fallon, she's your mother."

"Hector can be so mean to her." I ran a hand down my face. "I don't want them to fight."

"She's never fought with the alpha. Cried and left the room, but I've never heard a cruel word leave that woman's mouth. Invite her. She won't come, but she can at least get an invitation. The picture of Rudy is adorable on it. My mother was gushing over him. Human or werewolf, they're both adorable. Isn't that right? You're the cutest boy ever."

I chewed on my claw.

"Invite her, Fallon."

"I will."

"Good, because I think she deserves to meet her grandson in person."

"I can't take off work right now. We're having problems with rebel human groups attacking farms."

"On Saturday."

"I might need to work."

"You will be taking the day off."

"Hector isn't going to want to hear I'm not going to be here because I went to see my mother."

"Then, I will take Rudy. I don't need you to hold my hand, but I have enough respect for the woman who gave birth to my mate to go and visit."

"Marcy," I sighed. "I'll figure it out."

"My mother is human, too. If Hector treats her with the same disrespect as he does yours, we will have a problem."

I took a deep breath. "I will handle it."

A soft cry sounded on the phone.

"Someone woke up."

"Come here, sweetie. Say hi to daddy."

The soft cry continued.

"I think that's him saying he's hungry," I said.

"Well, my little dominant has a lot of growing to do. Have a good day at work. Call me when you're on your way home."

"I will. Love you."

"Love you, too. Bye."

"Bye." I pressed the end button and sighed.

I loved my mother, even though no one thought I did. She raised me until I was seven. Then Hector stepped in and took me to the capital. I just hated the aftermath. Hector being cross with me and seeing my mother cry were both things I wanted to avoid.

***

I closed the trunk and watched Marcy head out of the house with the car seat.

"Oh, I forget the present I got her. It's by the door. Can you grab it?"

"Sure."

She grabbed my hand. "Did you tell Hector?"

I shook my head. "He'll find out. Drawback to having your uncle as an alpha."

My mate patted my cheek. "If you're going to be a grump, stay home. Otherwise, put a smile on your face."

I gave her an oversize grin.

"Oh, so cute. Rudy gives me the same one when he has a good poop."

Throwing back my head, I groaned. "I didn't need to hear that."

She laughed and went to the car.

After grabbing the wrapped box, I carried it to the trunk and put it inside. I walked to the driver's side as my mate and pup sat in the back of the car.

"We're all ready," said Marcy. "You get to meet your grandma." She leaned into the car seat. "She is going to smother you with kisses. She loves all your pictures."

I started the car and pulled out onto the road. I wasn't upset about going to see my mom. I was dreading Monday. Marcy was right. I needed to put a smile on my face and stop worrying. I had been doing too much of that since Rudy was born.

***

I pressed the doorbell and stepped back. The porch looked the same as always. The house sat all alone in the middle of farmland. The country was so much quieter than Central. The door opened, and my mother pushed over the screen.

"Hi Amy, we're here," announced my mate.

She stood there in human form and clapped her hands together. "I've been waiting all day for you to get here." She hugged Marcy. "I've missed you." She turned to me. "Fallon."

"Hi, Mom." I hugged her. "How are you?"

"The same as always. Come in, come in." She waved for us to follow. "I need to see my grandson."

Marcy set the car seat in the middle of the floor and undid the straps. "He might need to be changed."

"I don't mind. If he does, I'd be happy to take care of it." My mother took the child and cradled him close. "He is still so small. Dominants grow so fast. Fallon only looked like a newborn for a week, if that."

I sat down on the couch.

"Look at this hair. You are going to be such a handsome werewolf. I see bits and pieces of your mommy and daddy in this cute face."

"How have you been?" I asked.

"Same old, same old. That's how I like it. Nice and quiet."

Marcy nodded toward the diaper bag. The golden envelope with the Midfield seal was sitting right on top.

I passed my mate the bag and took out the invitation. "I wanted to give you this."

My mother took it.

"Don't feel like you have to come but you can if you want to."

She carefully opened it and smiled at the image of Rudy. "What did Hector think of him?"

"He was upset, but at the situation, not Rudy," I replied.

"That's good." She placed the invitation to the side. "Thank you for thinking of me."

Marcy put her hands on her hips. "I'm going to get the rest of the bags."

"I'll help." I stood and followed her to the door.

My mom held up the baby. "Someone is smelling rip. I think you need changed."

We went out to the car.

"See, that wasn't so hard," said Marcy.

I shrugged. "I guess." Popping the trunk, I grabbed our overnight bags.

She hugged me from behind. "It's okay not to be Hector's perfect nephew. I know Andreas fights with him constantly. It is not your responsibility to fill the position his son doesn't even try to."

"I'm not," I muttered. "He's my alpha."

"I think it's more than that." She grabbed the present for my mom. "Hector has done a lot for us. The reason we were allowed to be together was because of how hard he fought for us to be mates. I want to make him happy, too, but not at the expense of your mother's feelings."

Closing the trunk, I nodded. "I'm stressed. It's been piling up but I'm going to try to be more positive."

"Let's just take it a day at a time."

"I'll do my best."

We went inside to find my mother playing with Rudy's feet as he kicked at her. She looked so happy. Life had been hard on her. She lost her mate and her alpha resents her. He even took me from her.

"Mom, if you want to come, I'll handle Hector."

She smiled at me. "I'd rather get to enjoy Rudy when it's just us. Having you here is all I need to be happy."