Chapter 44: Changes

"Rudy, Rudy, we're having breakfast."

The door slowly opened, and my mother poked her head inside. I sat on my bed and stared at the wall.

"Rudy," she said. "Are you okay?"

I examined my hands. I had changed my back. My fur and claws were gone. My room felt so cold against my bare skin. Once again, I was stuck as a human.

"When did it happen?"

I shrugged. "Last night."

Stepping inside, she closed the door. "Does anything hurt?"

"No." I looked straight down. "I'm fine."

She moved closer. "Rue?"

My eyes were burning. "I'm fine."

"On the outside." She sat beside me and wrapped me up in her arms.

The tears broke through. Why did I have to change back?

"I tried all night to shift." I wiped my nose. "I thought maybe since I did it once, I could... but nothing worked. It didn't work."

She pressed my head to her chest. "We'll find a way, Rue. We know it's possible now. We'll find a way so you can shift whenever you want."

"I wanted to be able to do it. I thought I had a chance."

"I know. I had hoped it would work as well." She rocked side to side. "I'm sorry. I wish it had." She held me in front of her. "There still isn't a thing wrong with this form. You're as handsome as ever under all that fur. I kind of missed getting to see this face every day."

I cleared my eyes.

"It's going to be hard," she said. "You know what it's like now, but we're not going to give up. Okay?"

Nodding, I let out a shaky breath.

"Are you hungry?"

"No."

She gave me a sad smile. "I'll save some for you later. You look exhausted."

"I am." I gave a shaky laugh.

"Get some rest. I tell everyone you want to be left alone."

Nodding, I laid down, and she pulled one of my furry blankets over me. My head was throbbing, and my eyes were swollen. She kissed the side of my head before leaving. I knew I would change back after a month. It was part of the deal. The drug only lasted one month. I yanked the covers over my head. But I still wish it could have lasted forever.

***

Case stood in the entryway in human form. He gave me a slight smile. "Hey."

"Hi." I didn't say much and started for my room.

He hurried after me and closed the bedroom door behind him. We remained in silence for a few minutes. I didn't know what to say. It was obvious I had changed back.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked.

"No."

Case nodded. "Alright, then we're not going to." He took off his backpack and unzipped it. He took something out and handed it to me.

I grinned at the new game.

"Since we finished the first one, I thought we could start on this one. I heard the graphics are better, and the weapon selection is like twice the size."

I tapped the game against my palm. "Thanks."

He shrugged. "I wouldn't want to talk about it either. I'd rather forget about it by doing something else."