Chapter 8: Blanket

Rudy opened his present and stared at the cardboard box. I moved onto the floor and cut through the tape with my claw.

The two-year-old squealed with delight as he ripped out the fluffy blanket.

Andres smiled to himself. "I figured the baby needed a break."

"Soft!" Rudy showed it to me. He hugged it tightly and ran off to his mother.

I glanced at the presents behind me. We should have opened that last. Marcy wrapped the white blanket around the boy. He dropped onto the floor and rolled from side to side.

"Rudy, do you want to come and open the others?" I asked.

"No."

"Rudy, this is from Grandpa Hector."

"No!"

The retired alpha chuckled at the boy rolling across this blanket before shoving his face into the long white fur.

"Let him play," said Hector. "We can open the others later."

With a sigh, I stood and cleaned up the little bit of wrapping paper. I moved to the couch and joined the others watching Rudy. Drake's cry sounded from the kitchen, and Marcy went to go and see what happened. Her family had made the trip to Midfield to be here for Rudy's birthday.

"You need to have another pup," said Hector, glancing at the kitchen. "I'd hate to have to give one of the boys to Northern Ridge."

"So, we should have another one for that reason?" I muttered.

"Drake is going to be a strong werewolf." He pointed at the little black pup. "I never like to give away red werewolves, either. They're too rare."

"What if the next one is stronger than either of the boys?" I asked.

"A fourth?" Hector shrugged. "I'm starting to regret this arrangement."

Rudy dragged his blanket over to me. "Soft, Daddy." He giggled and pulled it over his head.

Moving to the floor, I wrapped the boy tightly in it. "Do you like your blanket?"

"Yeah," he laughed. "Soft." He sighed and closed his eyes.

"Let's open the others, okay." I moved over to the pile and put Rudy between my legs.

He was willing to open them as long as he was wrapped in his blanket. We opened the gifts, but Rudy didn't want to play with any of them. He laid on his blanket as we went to get some cake.

"Did I start something?" whispered Andres. "I knew he'd like it but not to that extent."

Nodding, I dropped my gaze to the floor. "He's an observant, pup."

"You think it because he doesn't have fur?"

I pressed a finger to my muzzle. "Don't let Marcy hear. She was crying about it the other day when the other pups were being mean to Rudy at daycare."

The alpha's clicked his tongue. "Do I need to show up to daycare?"

I laughed and shook my head. "Please don't."

Hector was sitting on the floor with Rudy. The retired alpha opened up the truck set from the stack of toys. Rudy perked up and started to play with his blanket close by. I swallowed hard and prayed that this was just a phase and not Rudy figuring out that might be a little different.

***

"No! Go away!

With a sigh, I entered the playroom. Rudy was using his foot to push Drake away.