Chapter 42: Traitor (Jed)

I was excited, but my stomach was turning from the nerves. I couldn't eat anything this morning since I was so anxious about what might happen. Chewing on my fingernails, I pulled at my man-skirt. Axil was never going to let me go free, so if I had to spend my life with a werewolf, I wanted to have a good relationship with my parents. I was okay with 'behaving' in return for getting to see my family ever one in awhile.

The car stopped and Axil opened the door. I climbed out the other side and hurried to catch up with him. The small rocks didn't feel the greatest on my feet. We stopped at the bottom of the steps to the mansion.

"I have some business with Andreas, but don't think you can get away with trying anything."

"Okay." I nodded.

He grabbed my upper arm. "Are you alright? You look like you're going to pass out. You're whiter than usual."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm stressed. I'll be fine."

"If you say so."

A servant opened the door and bowed as we entered. The cold air hit me and I was regretting leaving the robe that Axil offered me behind. If he'd just give me regular clothes and shoes, life would be so much easier for both of us.

"Where's Andreas?"

"In his office, sir."

I looked around. The room seemed larger than last night. It wasn't filled with hundreds of werewolves, either. "Where are they?" I touched Axil's arm.

"Your parents, sir?"

I nodded.

"They've arrived right before you. They're with your brother helping him go through the gifts from last night in the banquet room."

My heart rate increased and I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"Would you like me to show you, sir?"

"I'll do it." Axil put his hand on my shoulder. He led the way.

I was feeling sick again. Those damn toxins had really messed me up. Voices sounded from the door in front of us. I heard Jax and Maggie laughing. My sister was here too. Axil knock and the occupants feel silent. Axil opened the door and stepped to the side. I stepped forward and saw my family sitting around a mound of presents.

The door closed, startling me. I glanced over my shoulder and didn't see Axil. I was on my own. Rightfully so, I should be the one to face whatever was coming to me for what I did. I stepped forward. My mouth was dry

My mother was watching me. Her face went from shocked to indifferent. I didn't understand it. Axil said she knew I was coming. I forced a smile. Nothing. I stopped a few feet away from them.

"Mom?" I flexed and clenched my hands, not knowing what to do with them. "Mom, I... I'm sorr—"

"Don't call me that," she stated.

My chest tightened. "Mom?"

"Stop it!" Her eyes meant mine.

I knew that look. It was the same one every rebel had when they talked about a werewolf. Pure hatred. My chest tightened. This wasn't what I was expecting. I knew she'd be mad, but this hurt. It hurt worse than toxins.

"Mom," breathed Ricky, climbing off the ground where they were opening presents. "It's Jed. Wolfsbane found him, and—"

"Enough." She lifted her hand. "Your brother is dead."

My breath caught. "I'm right here." I glanced at my siblings. They all seemed unsure, while my father had his back to me. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean for anything bad to happen. It was my one chance. I just wanted to be free. I wanted all of us to be free."