Chapter 13: Dirty Blood

I sat on the bleachers all by myself. The other class has a couple who weren't allowed to play in werewolf form, but I was it in mine. I fidgeted in my seat and sighed. Coloring wasn't as fun as getting to play kickball. I think my class was winning, too. I wanted to play.

"Okay, class," called the teacher. "It's almost time for recess, so it's time to shift back."

The other kids whined before they changed back to human. I wish I could do that. With my crayon box, I hopped down the seats and joined them.

"Line up so we can go back to the classroom."

I stood behind a girl.

"Why don't you ever play with us?" she asked.

I shrugged. "My mom and dad said no."

She frowned. "That's no fun. You should ask them to change their minds."

"Yeah."

We followed the teacher into the hall to our classroom. I went to put my things away as everyone else asked to go to recess early. The bell rang soon after, and she waved them out the door. I hurried after them and went to find Case.

"Rudy!" He waved from the top of the big toy.

I climbed up. "Do you want to play race?"

"Yeah! Race you down the slide."

We both dove into the tunnel and tried to be the first one out. Case won and chose another area we could race to. We ran around the big toy until I noticed a tire swing was empty. Taking a running leap, Case jumped on beside me. I laughed as the tire flew higher.

"Did you get to do p.e.?"

I nodded. "It was the werewolf form."

Case groaned. "So, you didn't get to?"

"No. My mom and dad said it was too dangerous."

"Werewolf form is fun."

I shrugged. "I can't shift, so I don't know."

"I can teach you." Case jumped off and pushed the tire higher. "I'm a good shifter."

"Yeah? Um... maybe I can ask my mom if you can come over?"

"That would be fun!" He grinned at me. "And then I can teach you."

We took turns pushing each other and had a battle to see how we could push the tire higher. I jumped on and laughed as we whipped around. I noticed a teacher leading a boy in werewolf form into the school. His clothes were a little ripped. Most kids could shift without ripping them.

"He broke the rules," said Case. "My dad said I'd get in big trouble if I shift when we're not supposed to."

"Yeah."

The recess bell sounded. I waved to Case and hurried inside and went to my classroom.

"Rudy can't shift."

I turned around and looked for who said it. A group of girls was huddled together.

"I heard him tell Case."

Frowning, I went to my desk and slumped over.

***

I scowled at my math homework. I didn't want to do it. Drake was already done, but mine was way harder. It wasn't fair he got the easy homework. Sasha grabbed one of my papers.

"Go away." I took it back. "That mine."

She went for my backpack.

"Stop it!" I snatched it.