Chapter 29: Artificial Werewolf (Jed)

Axil led me to his private elevator.

"You're really going to make me go out there practically naked."

He stepped into the elevator and waited for me to follow. Two of his bodyguards stood on either side.

"Like I get that werewolves do the who wild and free thing, but humans don't. I don't have fur."

"I don't have clothes for you," said Axil plainly as his ear flicked to the side. "Sorry."

Letting out a heated breath, I stood my ground. "I..." I cleared my throat, not wanting to say it. "I am maybe"—I looked him in the eyes—"maybe your future mate. Do you want me walking around naked for everyone to see?!"

"The car is ten feet from the elevator entrance. Were you planning on making a run for it?"

I glared at the floor. "No. I'd rather just have clothes."

"You do. Now let's go. We're going to be late."

I stepped inside and the guards followed. "Where are we going?"

"Somewhere."

Rolling my eyes, I shook my head. Could he try to be even vaguer?

A heavy weight landed on my shoulder, nearly knocking me over. Axil didn't look at me as I adjusted his robe. It was huge but provided way more coverage than the little fluffy white one I had on.

"Thanks," I muttered.

"You are my mate." He kept his eyes pointed at the control panel. "The press will be following us around as well."

The elevator chimed as we filed out and into the black car that was waiting. The guards were set on getting me inside but I managed to catch a glimpse of the line of photographers outside the garage doors. My chested tightened. This was getting a little too real.

I chewed on my fingernails as the car drove out onto the street. There were so many werewolves outside. Maybe staying on the farm would have been better. Then again, Midfield was planning to send Ricky and me to some lumberyard in Northern Ridge.

"What did that one older werewolf mean to change me?"

"Refer to him as the patriarch," stated Axil. "My grandfather founded this pack. The alpha may be in charge, but Jet is held in the highest esteem."

"Grandfather? Is the alpha line?"

"Different children," said Axil. "The alpha line branched off from Jet's son Keith. My bloodline branches off from Jet and Lette's first son."

"Lette was the sub right?"

Axil nodded. "The red died out along the way. Hopefully, with you, it'll show up again in our pups."

I groaned at the moment. "Can you stop?"

He chuckled to himself and tapped his claw against his lips.

"You didn't answer my questions." I adjusted the robe. "What did Jet, I mean the patriarch mean? How can you know what color my fur would be unless we"—I sucked in my cheek—"mate."

"We're on our way to the clinic. You'll find out soon enough."

My eyes grew wide. "Are you going to do some science experiment on me?"

Axil faced the other way and didn't answer. I shoved my knees up against the seat in front of me. I hated these werewolves.

***

(Jax)

Sucking in my lips, I held out my hands and I tried to make it to the wall.

"Jax!"