Chapter 46: Family Time (Milo)

Different brightly colored outfits were laid across the floor around me. My mother had also bought a large assortment of headbands and bows. Werewolves didn't wear clothing often but I'd have to say my little girl would be dawning each of these outfits at least once.

I picked one up and stuck a finger through the tail hole. "Where did you get all of these?"

"Collin asked me to pick some things out," said my mother, while glancing at my mate who was in the kitchen with Axil. "He won't admit it but I think he really wanted a girl. I've never seen a man so excited to pick out baby clothes."

Smiling to myself, I folded the outfit. "I can't wait to meet her."

"Me, too." She hugged me to her. "I'm going to be a grandmother much earlier than I expected."

Axil and Collin entered the living room and sat down on the couch. Somehow my siblings had convinced Jedrek to go upstairs. I could hear video game noises coming from above my head. I felt like my brother and sister felt comfortable around him compared to the two huge werewolves sitting in the living room. I hoped being around humans would help Jedrek relax as well.

"Look at all this." Axil motioned to the floor. "Do you plan on taking over another floor? Your apartment isn't going to be overflowing before the pup gets here."

"Hmm..." Collin eyed the man next to him. "I can do what I want with my daughter."

The beta laughed. "Look at you." He nudged his shoulder. "You've gotten the overprotective father role down already."

"Go away." Collin shoved Axil.

He laughed and leaned over his knees. "These are cute."

I started to fold them and put them in the bags.

"Can I ask you something, sir?" My mother sat up straight.

"Axil," said the beta. "You're Milo's family. There's no need to be proper."

"Axil." She swallowed hard. "At school, Liya and Carter—" She smoothed out the shirt on her lap.

I turned to her. Was something wrong?

"They tested well," said Axil. "I looked them up the other day. Both inherited the same gene as Milo."

My mother seemed to not know whether or not to be relieved by the news. "Will they be, well, marked by someone?"

Axil leaned back and let out a sigh. "It all depends on that little girl." He nodded to the stack of outfits. "Judah is very interested in what her capabilities will be. We'll be able to tell pretty quickly if we have a dominant or middle rank."

I swallowed hard. "It's hard to tell with girls. She could look like me."

Axil shrugged. "Heightened instincts are a perk of my rank. I can guess pretty easily. Members of the central pack have to come to Judah and me to receive their rank when they turned thirteen, and all it takes is meeting them once and I know."

Bowing my head, I stared at the items around me. "That's a lot of pressure to put on a baby."

"Sorry." Axil rubbed the back of his neck. "But the pack is always looking for ways to grow stronger."

"So—" my mother sat up straight. "If our little angel turns out to be a dominant, what does that mean for Carter and Liya?"

"Someone will stake a claim on them."

Collin lifted his chin. "I'm the head of this family. I get the final say, so I will make sure that Carter and Liya mates are someone they want to be with. They won't be mated off to just anyone. I will see to it."