Chapter 2: Pivot (Jax)

A patted my spoon on the last bit of my cereal. They were too mushy to eat now.

"Jax, are you done, or do you want some more?" asked my mother.

"I'm good."

Maggie glanced at me.

"What?"

"Nothing." She smiled as her eyes flicked down to the practically empty bowl.

"Boys!" yelled my mother up the stairs. "Jedrek, Richard, get down here right now. We have things to do today."

Ricky came down first. "Good morning."

"May I ask what is taking you so long? Jed!" She called.

"We were up late. Sorry. He'll be down in a second." Ricky sat down at the table and poured himself a bowl. "Did you eat already?"

I nodded. "I've been up for awhile."

"Like clockwork," he grinned at me.

"No, I can't very well get down the stairs myself, so when dad gets up so do I."

Ricky nodded. "Very true."

Jed stumbled down the stairs while putting on his shirt. "Sorry."

"I'm not the one who's making your father wait." She motioned to the table. "Hurry and eat."

Jed took the seat across from his twin. "You better not have finished this kind off." He grabbed the box and shook it.

Ricky ignored him as the last few piece rattled inside and continued shoveling spoonful after spoonful into his mouth.

"Asshole," muttered Jed as he finished that one off and grabbed the other box to fill his bowl.

My sister took hers and mine into the kitchen. "I'm going out to help dad."

"Oh, Maggie wait." My mother hurried about and took out some water bottles. "It's going to be hot today."

"Thanks. I'll tell dad you two are on your way out."

My brothers waved at her before going back to eating. I just watched them. They finished one bowl and poured another. After that one, they started on a third. I didn't even know if werewolf ate this much.

"Boys, could one of you get Jax situated? I'm heading out. Your dad called, and it looks like we have some pivot problems. Make sure to put the milk away."

"I got it," said Jed.

Ricky grabbed a handful of cereal and poured it into his mouth as he jogged after our mom.

Jed cleaned up and put the milk away. He grabbed a couple water bottles. "Where do you want to be?"

"Outside under the tree."

He placed the water bottles in my chair along with an apple. Grabbing the handles, he pushed me outside and under the tree in the front yard. "You good here?"

I nodded. "Thanks."

"Yeah." He patted my shoulder and started back to the house. "Hey, Jax?"

"Hmm..." I turned in my seat.

"Physical strength isn't always everything," he stated. "I may not seem like it, but I've always looked up to you. You never complain about anything, and you got it worst out of all of us.

I didn't really know how to respond to that.

"Anyways, just so you know I've never once thought of you as a bother. Alright."