Chapter 44: Define Normal (Milo)

I opened my eyes at the sound of muffled voices. Rubbing them, I sat up and stretched my arms overhead. Someone moved beside me. Jedrek was fast asleep in human form. He looked so much better than before. Laying back down, I watched him for a moment. It was like nothing had happened to us. All of the physical marks had been washed away. With a sigh, I shifted to werewolf form and climbed out of bed. I staggered slightly when my head started to sway. The marks may be gone but my body still felt weak.

Shuffling to the door, I slowly opened it as to not wake Jed and slipped into the other part of the plane. The rattling let me know we were in the air.

Collin spotted me. "Milo, you should be resting." He stood and hurried to my side. "I can only do so much."

"I'm fine." I wrapped my arms around his waist and buried my nose in his fur. My mate's scent was the best smell in the world. There was nothing like it.

I walked with him to the couch where the beta was sitting with a drink in his hand. I could smell the alcohol. Collin even had a touch of it on his breath. We settled in the corner and I rested my head on Collin's arm.

"Where are we at?" I asked.

"We're less than an hour away from home."

"Wow, I slept longer than I thought."

He smoothed back my head fur. "You should still be sleeping."

I smiled at him. "I'll rest more when we get home."

"Is Jedrek alright?" asked Axil.

I nodded. "He's still sleeping. He looks better."

The beta nodded. "I should have waited longer before mating him. It put too much of a strain on his body." Clearing his throat, Axil stood. "I'm going to check on him."

The click of the door opening and closing sounded soon after.

"Did he—" I swallowed hard. "That man?"

"Dead." Collin put his arm around me. "Axil got what he wanted out of the bastard and then kill him. A mercy-kill by the sounds of it." He let out a deep breath. "He should have let the human die a slow death from toxins."

Closing my eyes, I pressed into his side. I didn't want to hear about it. Collin rubbed my back and soon pulled me across his lap. I hugged him tightly.

"You're shaking."

"I was so scared." My eyes were burning. "They did such horrible things to me. Some of the other had it even worse."

"The other subs are going to be taken home. Axil has his team working on finding each of homes or a place where they can be safe. A few had mates that were relieved to hear the subs were found."

I peered up at him. "One of them lost their mate."

Collin frowned. "What do you mean?"

"They did a death shock. The others said he just started sobbing." I pressed my hand to the scar on my shoulder. "He felt their connection break." The tears were close to coming out. All my time there I had lived in fear of experiencing that feeling.

"Don't, don't you even think about it." Collin grabbed my hand and brought it to his lips. "I told you already. That is my mark. It will always be my mark. You know that. My own mother tried to get me to give you up and I refused. No one who can make me ever want to break the bond we have."

Letting out a deep breath, I relaxed in his arms. My head felt so hazy.

Collin brushed his hand through the fur on my cheek. "Get some rest. I'll wake you when we're about to land."