Chapter 37: Continentals

I finished my final lap and lifted myself out of the pool. It was nice to get it all to myself, but I was still annoyed that I had to spend all day at the alpha's mansion. My grandpa was on his phone as I wandered over to get my towel.

"Done for the night?"

I nodded. "Good enough. I didn't want to overdo it. We're going to be running the relay tomorrow."

"Well, then"—he stood—"we better get you to bed."

"Grandpa?"

"Hmm..."

"You're not going to let Jet get his way, right? Bruce is a nice guy from what I remember, but I don't see myself—" I bowed my head. "I get I'm not a typical werewolf."

"You don't want to be the sub."

I nodded. "Like I know there is one in every relationship. But, I always saw myself as the dominant partner, even if my mate is ranked as a dominant." I sighed. "I still don't have an official rank, so I'm just assuming things. But, yeah..."

He patted my shoulder. "This is between Andreas and Gael. Jet is not a part of it."

I forced a smile. "I get nervous when people talk about it. Because of my hair, I know the red might be something Gael wants. I don't want to change packs."

He put his arm around me. "I'll do what I can to make sure you don't. I wish I didn't have to let any of you go. I'm worried about Drake, actually. He's already so tall." My grandpa shook his head. "If Gael goes for strength, he might take your brother. Though, Sasha is not afraid to have a go at either of you." He glanced at me. "Let's head to the hotel. I don't like thinking about it either."

***

I kicked off the last wall and glided through the water. I would feel turbulence behind me. The adrenaline was pumping, but I had to focus on staying calm and not tightening up. I went for air and caught a glimpse of the swimmer who was right behind me. I still had half a body length on him, and I wasn't going to give an inch up. I reached for the wall and looked up as the final member of the relay dove into the water. The other teams' last swimmers entered the pool right after.

My teammates helped me out. I knelt by the starting blocks and caught my breath as they screamed behind me. We were in the lead at the turn, and once again, he hit the wall below me. I sat up straight and started yelling as they swam the last one hundred. They entered the home stretched. The other swimmers were trying to close the gap, but Midfield was holding them off. I froze as my teammate dove for the wall. All our heads snapped to the scoreboard. Midfield was marked number one. My packmates behind me jumped and yelled as the one below threw water in the air.

We did it. I couldn't believe that we did it. I was attacked from behind. We helped the fourth member out of the pool and waved at our small cheering section. We did it. We won. It was hard to believe, and as I slowly started to comprehend what had just happened, my excitement grew. We were Continentals Junior champions!

***

I jogged over to my grandpa, who was waiting. A gold medal dangled around my neck. The werewolf snatched me in a hug and picked me off the ground.

"Your mom is furious they won't be here until tomorrow."

I laughed. "We weren't supposed to win."

"Well, someone decided to do a personal best 200-meter time." He messed up my hair.

I smiled to myself.

"Let me see this." He picked up my medal. "That is nice. It's heavier than it looks." He flipped it over. "Look at that. It has your event on the back. You know I was sitting by these important werewolves, you might say," he chuckled. "They were very impressed.'