Chapter 33: Wildfire (Collin)

I read through the email to the alpha one last time before sending it. Axil should have probably seen it first but I was sick of the man. He never actually read anything I send him, anyways. I opened up the monthly agenda and sighed. So much to do and having a lazy beta only made it worse.

Someone clear this throat.

I glanced at Axil who was standing in the doorway. "I emailed the alpha. I Cc'd you if you want to read it."

"Aren't they supposed to be passed through me first?"

"Nope." I scrolled through my calendar.

"It's pretty clear you're avoiding me." Axil wandered over and sat down in the chair in front of my desk.

"Yep." I arched a brow.

The beta sprawled out and scratched his head with his claw. "I wasn't threatening Milo."

"Sounded like it to me."

"I was frustrated," he said firmly. "You've met Jed. We have so much security around the apartment to protect him but to also keep him from running away."

Turning my chair forward, I met the beta's gaze. "Milo would never run away from me."

"But Jed has done so to me. Do you know how bad that hurt? There's a reason that the pack has really started to crack down on the illegal selling of omegas because they're also branching out into kidnapping. These people know how to manipulate human-borns. Hell, some of them are humans. I am doing everything I can to protect Jed. As much as he wants to run off and led a rebel against the werewolf hierarchy, he is my weakness"—Axil sunk into his seat—"and I'm at the head of that hierarchy."

Letting out a deep breath, I nodded.

"Even if they couldn't get what they wanted out of me by taking Jed, all they'd have to do is kill my mate and that would be enough to hurt the pack. Jed is a pain in the ass, but I love that damn pup. It would destroy me to lose him." He rubbed his muzzle. "They warned us in school how big of an effect a mate can have on us but nothing can prepare you for feeling it."

I rolled my pen across the desk. "Then you understand why I got upset the other night. Milo is my world. I'm battling my own pack to get ownership of his father and brother. I've completely cut off my own family for what they did to him. I'd do anything to make him happy."

"Did you talk to Judah?"

Laying my head back, I swayed from side to side. "Milo's old owner lied to me. He said they were on loan to the pack. He sold them. Judah doesn't want to hear what I have to say."

"I could talk to him. As an apology to Milo for scary the shit the out of him."

I eyed the beta. "Just because Jedrek isn't affected by your status, Milo is. He's a sub and was a timid human before that."

"Once again, I'm sorry." Axil nodded. "So can Milo stay with Jed again?"

Laughing, I shook my head. "Why? Is he bored?"

"Bored," scoffed the beta. "He's stomping around because I've chased off his one friend."

"Friend?" I smiled. "I didn't think your mate was capable of making friends."

"Well, he has one." Axil gave me a smirk. "And unfortunately for you, it's your mate."

***

(Milo)

"Is Axil going to be there?" I pressed into my mate's side.

Collin put his arm around my shoulder. "He feels bad about what happened."