Chapter 2: Eye Contact (Milo)

Wiping my forehead, I yanked the last stray bit of grass growing amongst the flowers. Thankfully, they had watered the beds recently so it wasn't too hard to get out the weeds.

"Milo!" Julie sped walked over to me. "Come on, boy. If I call you, then don't waste my time."

I jumped up but stopped when I remembered the pile of weeds. Kneeling down, I gathered them in my arms.

"Leave them. We don't have time." She took the pile from me and drop it on the ground. Grabbing my arms, she held me in front of her. "You're not too filthy, thank god." Julie used her sleeve to wipe some dirt off my face. "There. Alright." She took a deep breath. "I'm going to take you to see the young master. Remember what I said earlier."

"I will."

"Good. This way." She led me to a back entrance to the house that led to the kitchen. "Come here."

A bucket of water and a sponge were sitting to the side.

She started to wash her feet. "Do yours. Leaving tracks will only anger the mistress and she is home."

I did so and used the towel on the hook to dry them off. She marched me through the kitchen to a staircase that spiraled up to the floors above. We went clear to the top of them and Julie opened the door slightly. She peeked out into the hallway. My heart was pounding as I waited for what would come next. My old master had been a middle rank. I never liked being around the dominants. They always seemed to look like they wanted to kill someone.

"It's clear, so it's safe to go." Julie turned to me. "If you ever are called up here, check to make sure there aren't any werewolves in the hallway. It's best to never disturb our masters or their guests."

"Yes, ma'am."

Julie gave me a smile. "The young master isn't that bad. A stern werewolf, but that comes with the rank."

We entered the hallway and stood in front of a wooden door with designs carved into it. Julie knocked twice and stepped back.

"Come in," said a deep voice from the other side.

Julie opened the door and kept her head down. "I brought the new boy, sir."

"Let him in, then you can go."

"Yes, sir." Julie ushered me in and quickly left.

I kept my eyes on the ground and flinched when the doors closed. I stood very still, waiting for him to tell me what to do.

"Come here."

I peeked up. My chest tightened. The werewolf behind the desk had pitch black fur with a bluish tone to it. His ear flicked to the side as he tapped on the screen on his desk. A chunk was missing from the side of it.

"Did you hear me?"

I hurried to the desk and stood across from the werewolf. Clasping my hands in front of me, I kept my head bowed.

The young master continued what he was doing for a few minutes before putting his tablet to the side. I could feel his eyes on me as the hairs on my arms stood on end.

"Come over here." He waved for me.

My eyes locked onto the claws attached to his fingers. I shuffled around the desk.

Collin slid down his chair and sighed. "You are rather small. How old are you?"

"Nineteen, sir," I whispered.

"No wonder that farm wanted to get rid of you." He grabbed the black band on the table. "Turn."

I did so.