Chapter 49: Cool

I stood with my parents at the base of the stairs. I was dreading the arrival of the guests for the alpha's dinner party. My mother smoothed out my shirt again.

"Stop," I muttered. "I'm fine. Quit fussing over me."

She put her arm around me. "I'm not fine."

My dad pressed in close behind me. They had on their semi-formal attire—less jewelry. I had been told to wear my nicer clothes since robes didn't cover much on a human. They were more nervous than me. I was simply annoyed and dreading the awkward night ahead. Highlights flickered in the window.

"They're here," breathed my dad.

Andreas put on a smile. The doors opened, and the solid white werewolf I remember from years ago was the first to enter.

"Rudy." She walked across the room with her arms held out. "Oh my god, look how you've grown." My future mother-in-law hugged me. "You are still as charming as I remember. Jerome?" She waved at the black werewolf who entered with Bruce. "Come here, I need to introduce you. Rudy, this is my mate, Jerome. And we are thrilled to have you become a part of our family."

"Hi." I shook his hand.

Faye shook her head. "That is no way to greet the family. This boy is not going to be some stranger."

Jerome nodded and smiled. He hugged me properly. "It's good to meet you, Rudy." He stepped back to make way for Bruce.

The nervous tension was raiding from the man. It was nice to see I wasn't the only one that was uptight about this mating.

I took a deep breath. "It's good to see you again."

"Yes." He tried to smile. "It's been a while. I've heard a lot, though," he quickly added.

"Good heaven, Bruce." Faye grabbed his wrist. "Don't stand a mile away." She yanked him into the circle and turned to my parents. "You already know, but this is my son Bruce. Bruce, this is Fallon and Marcy."

"I remember." His smile was a little shaky.

"I have to say you've grown as well," said my dad with a forced laugh. "I can see the making of an alpha."

"Let's hope." Faye looped arms with her son. "The hormone has already kicked in." She eyed the last werewolf who entered. "Gael thought putting him in charge of the teenager during training was a good idea. The stress triggered it. I was scared to death for those poor pups."

Gael shrugged. "Better to get it over while he was mateless." He went to shake hands with Andreas. "I think we have some papers to sign."

Faye's fur bristled. "You are ruining the mood. Nothing will be signed until tomorrow. I'm Bruce's alpha, not you."

"My pack," Gael muttered.

"That's right. There's a tiny space on the last page for you. But I'm not signing anything until we sit down, relax, and get to know each other." She smiled at me before she moved on to my mother. "Are these two grown werewolves the little fluffy balls from when I became alpha?"

My mother nodded. "Sasha is our youngest, and Drake. He's two years younger than Rudy."

"You are gorgeous," she said to my sister. "What a stunning young lady and very smart from what I hear."

"Thanks." She perked up a little.

"And such a handsome young man. Hard to keep fed, though, right?"

My mom laughed and nodded. "Yes, between Drake and Rudy, I feel like I was shopping daily during the summer."