Chapter 30: Pink Nails (Milo)

I winced as Liya pulled the brush through my fur a little too roughly. I was getting the feeling that my sister loved the fact that she wasn't limited to my head and could put clips all down my back. My tail flicked back and forth. She had tied bows up it. I was to the point that I had stopped caring and simply laid on the floor with a pillow under my head. Jedrek had turned on some kind of cartoon.

"Milo, can I paint your nails?"

I tapped them on the floor. "I don't know. I have toxins. I don't want you to get hurt by accident."

"You're a sub," breathed Jed.

I lifted my head. "And she a little human girl. It'll still hurt you."

Jedrek raised an eyebrow. "They're not razor blades."

"Let her paint yours then?" I retorted.

Jedrek kicked up his feet on the coffee table. "Have at it. I bet Axil would love to see his mate getting in touch with his feminine side."

Liya carried the small container of different nail polish to the table. "What color do you want?"

"Surprise me."

"Can I do a different one on each nail?"

"Sure." He rested his arm along the back of the couch.

"Be careful, Liya," said my mother from the kitchen. "They're both werewolves."

"I know." She rolled her eyes and started painting.

Jedrek motioned to my sister. "See, she gets it. You two are being a little extreme."

I wasn't impressed. Sitting up, I took the brush and smooth out my stomach fur. I felt like a puffball. All that brushing had left my fur looking overly fluffy.

"What did Collin say about joining that group?"

I shrugged. "I saw him looking through it last night and he didn't tell me no. There might be a chance that he'll let me do it."

"It's not going to kill you to talk to other werewolves. I mean"—he pressed his hand to his chest—"right now I'm all you got, and my opinion of our hairy superiors is rather low."

Shaking my head, I laid down. "Midfield raises the strangest humans."

"You're from the Midfield pack?" said Liya.

My mother walked out of the kitchen, drying her hand on a towel.

Jed nodded. "Yep, I grew up on a human-ran farm."

"Human-ran?" My mother came to sit by him. "What do you mean?"

"My parents were given a farm a run. As long as we took care of it, the werewolves didn't bother us much. The overseers would come by to check on us occasionally, but it could have been worse. Humans closer to the capitol are a bit more restricted in what they can do. Kind of like the humans here, minus the weird suits." He pointed to a human servant that dipped into my room without a word.

"We lived on a farm," said Liya. "With my old master." She smiled. "Now I don't have a master."

Jedrek patted the top of her head. "Keep that mindset."

"Midfield is so different than here," breathed my mother. "I couldn't even imagine that."

"We had our own house too. As long as we followed the rules and did what they asked, it wasn't too bad."

"Then why did you run?" asked my mother. "I heard in the news that you ran away from Midfield and that is how the beta was able to get you as a mate."