Chapter 31: A Mate's Connection (Jed)*

~This chapter has an unedited version with a sexually explicit scene, which can be read for free on Radish Fiction, or on Wattpad in The Nitty Gritty which can be found on my profile~

(Jed)

I couldn't tell if my arm was hurting more if I was just super aware of it. It didn't seem too hot, but I was starting to sweat. Wiping my face with the back of my arm, I let out a deep breath. Pain started to grow in the middle of my chest. I shifted my weight. Nothing felt comfortable. I swung my legs to the side. Sweat was dripping off my chin. Gasping for air, I laid down on my side and pressed my forehead to the cool stone of the platform.

I peered up at the sky and saw the full moon hovering over me. I cried out when a sharp pain erupted from my chest. Clasping the area, I clenched my jaw. A fire raced through my body. I gagged and fell onto my back as it felt like my skin was being ripped apart. I arched off the platform and struggled to breathe as fur pushed its way to the surface. Pain spiked as my feet seemed to be dislocated and pried into their new position. My sight blacked out as I struggled to inhale. Blood filled my mouth when it was forced out into a muzzle. A ringing filled my head.

I wanted to die. It would be better to die than continue living with this agony.

***

Something brushed against my arm causing what felt to be millions of needles poking my skin. I opened my eyes.

"He lived at least," said Jet as he moved in closer. He peered down his nose as he examined my body. "Strange. Very different markings. Then again if he were solid red, he'd be a dominant rather than a middle rank."

My entire body pulsed with a dull ache.

A werewolf moved in and shown a light in my eyes. "That injection should last a few hours. Make sure he stays ahead of the pain and takes his medication regularly."

"Let's have a look." The alpha stepped forward. "A bit on his forehead." He lifted my chin.

I gasped at the sudden movement. I started to shake. It would have been better if my heart had stopped. This was torture.

"One foot." The alpha nodded. "Beautiful coloring." He turned to Axil. "I approve."

Jet lifted my hand.

I wanted to cry. A whimper was all I could muster.

"Some white on a couple of fingers as well." The alpha laughed and examined his hand. "I guess he was meant to be part of the family. Congrats, Axil. Have a good night. I'll see you tomorrow." He waved and headed to the exit.

Jet pressed a hand to my cheek and ran it over my ear. "Very nice. Perfect addition to your line." The old alpha stood up straight. "Wait until the drugs are out of his system and he'll change back." He faced Axil. "Then mate him."

"It would be easier to do it now," said Axil. "Then he wouldn't have to go through this again."

"No," stated Jet. "He's the mate of the beta of Wolfsbane. He will have a first moon. I'm not going to let Midfield outdo us." He turned to leave. "Good night, boys."

"Good night, sir," whispered Axil.

Moving closer, he brushed a hand over my head.

"Don't..." I breathed. "It hurts..." My jaw ached.

"You turned out beautiful." He took a deep breath. "The alpha and patriarch were very happy. Honest opinions are always something you can rely on with those two." He unchained my ankle and walked around the platform. Taking a blanket from the medical equipment, he came back and draped it over me. "Grit your teeth."

I didn't know what he meant until he picked me up. I cried out as my eyes began to water. Clenching my jaw, I breathed out heavily from my nose. Axil adjusted the blanket around me and carried me to the exit.

Someone opened the car door for us. Axil carefully slid into the car. Every bump and jostle of the car hurt. My body was completely messed up. I never wanted to go through this again.

***

(Jax)

It was getting late, and Max hadn't come out of his office. Someone had even brought my dinner to the room. I slipped onto the floor and scooted across the carpet to the door. I knocked. Max didn't reply. Sucking in my lips, I tried to figure out what to do next. I checked the handle, but it was locked. I figured it would be.

Pressing against the wall, I laid my head back. "Max," I called. "Max, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it." I took a deep breath. "I've spent the majority of my life with people fussing over me. I'm tired of it, but you're a good mate." I scratched my ear. "Besides my mother, I've never had anyone so concerned about my well being. I didn't mean what I said earlier. I was mad."

The door creaked open.

I peered up at him. "Hey."

"Hi." He slipped out and sat down on the floor with me.

"Sorry." I picked at my claws.

"Me too," he sighed. "I've been an awful mate to you lately."

I bowed my head, not knowing what to say.

"It's hard," said Max. "I don't know if I can handle being alpha. There's so much that goes with it. Every day takes it out of me and it's not fair to you."

"I'm not going to break, Max. Toddlers fall hundred of times and nothing happens. I've never seen a pup learn to walk, but I figure it's the same."

He smiled. "I worry." Slipping down lower, he laid his head in my lap. "In school, they tell us that something happens when you mark your mate. They said it was something we'd never fully understand until it happened. It's harder than I imagined." He nuzzled my leg. "The thought of you getting hurt is just adding to the stress."

Letting out a sigh, I played with his head fur. "I want to be able to walk again. I know you're busy. Running a pack is something I can't even fathom, especially one as big as Midfield. I'm tired of waiting, though. It's been like fifteen years since I've been able to move around on my own. I really want this."

He rolled onto his back and peered up at me. "I love you, Jax."

I tensioned at the comment.

"I want to make you happy." He cupped my cheek. "You've become my world. That might be partially the fault of his"—his knuckled touched my shoulder—"but the thought of you not being my mate hurts. Deep in my chest, it starts to ache." He turned to me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"I guess that's one part about being the sub," I laughed. "We need some kind of power over you dominants."

He lifted himself up and brushed his nose against mine. "You have way more power over me than you think."

"I'm finding that out." I leaned forward and gave him a small kiss. "I'm sorry about what I said earlier. This werewolf thing is still new and I'll never know what it's like to mark someone."

Max bumped my chin with his nose and nuzzled my cheek. "Can I mark you tonight?"

Sex, I swallowed hard. I knew it wasn't going to be a one-time thing, but it still made me feel awkward.

"I've been trying really hard to hold back until we were more comfortable with each other, but I really, really want to mark you again." He kissed my shoulder. "Every time I see my mark, it makes me want to have you again."

I clasped the mark and looked him in the eyes. "Okay, but we have to do it as humans. I'm not ready to..." I motioned to him. "The size difference between you and me in this form, it's just a lot."

He smiled at me and kissed me again. "I'll take it."