Chapter 10: History Lesson (Jax)

I glared at the brown werewolf sitting across the table with his legs crossed.

Clark smiled. "You don't seem happy to see me again, Jax."

Clenching my jaw, I stared out the window. He could go fuck himself.

The werewolf laughed to himself. "How was your first night? I don't see a mark on your shoulder."

Sucking in my cheek, I had to mentally remind myself to not to respond. Werewolves just thought they could do whatever the hell they wanted, and this one, he gave off a horrible vibe.

"Living a life of luxury, must be so hard." He opened a book. "You're already fitting into the spoiled brat sub mold."

My mouth fell open. "Excuse me, I didn't ask to be brought here or to become someone's mate. You and Max did that for me, so I think I have a right to be upset."

Clark nodded, letting out a sigh. "Sounds just awful." He turned a few pages carelessly. "A mansion, the future alpha as a mate, and your parents also getting a fancy house of their own, so many things to be upset about. I'd hate the fact that my parents never have to work a day in their lives again too, if I was in your position. "

I pointed a finger at him. "You can shut up." So I was being a little bit of a negative asshole about some aspects of this arrangement, but it was their fault. If the werewolves would just let all the humans go free, then everyone's problems would be gone.

The werewolf smirked at me. "Are you going to cooperate now? You need to know these people. They will be coming to your First Moon and First Appearance to the pack. Not to mention, you are mating into their line."

Letting out a deep breath, I rested my elbow on the table and stared at the book. "A werewolf is a werewolf, they all look the same."

"Maybe you should take some time and start look a little closer." He turned the book. "This is Trevor. He was the starting point for the rise of the werewolves. He helped cement the pack as a powerful force even against the humans."

I scoffed. "So it was this asshole that ruined the world? Just great. I'll commit that to memory." I glared the photos of a man in his human and werewolf form.

Clark rubbed between his eyes. "First lesson." He moved the book to the side and looked me in the eyes. "From what I've been told, Max plans on claiming you tonight, so as of tomorrow, you will be a werewolf. That means this history is now yours. I get you're hyped up on some human pride shit and think this little act of rebellion is going to get your somewhere, but that ends tonight. You won't be a human anymore, and if by some miracle the humans were able to overthrow us, guess which side they placed you on?"

I forced the lump down in my throat.

Sitting up straight, he moved the book in front of me. "Talking like that about our past alpha will only embarrass Max, and the other dominants will expect him to discipline you."

"Discipline? I thought I was going to be his mate. Not some child."

Clark's expression didn't change. "We're a society build on rank. The higher ranked partner is responsible for their mate. It's not as prominent in nearly equally ranked couples, but an alpha with a sub, and a human-born one at that, Max will put your in your place. He will not ruin his reputation or that of his family, because you decided to run your mouth and be disrespectful. So," he tapped a claw on the photo of Trevor, "starting point of the werewolf revolution. Leader and I believe it's three greats-grandfather to Max. He'll be attending your events."

"What?" I looked at confused. "This guy it Max's great-great-great grandfather, and he's still alive?"

Clark smiled. "He's 148. Every alpha's birthday is a pack holiday. His 150 is going to pretty spectacular. They're already planning it, but as you're going to find out for yourself, werewolves can live to 180 to 200 years old."