Chapter 47: Replacement

I typed in the code to the door and pushed it open.

Case poked his head out of the bathroom. "Hey."

I nodded and went to put my bags on the bed. I crawled over them and flopped onto my stomach.

"Bad weekend?"

"The worst."

He let out a deep breath. "It sucks, dude. It's not fair at all."

"Yep."

Case went to finish getting ready. He pulled on his uniform jacket. "Are you coming?"

"No."

"Alright. I'll text you at noon for lunch. I can bring you something if you want."

"Sounds good."

He grabbed his things and left the room. I kicked my bags onto the floor and climbed under the covers. I didn't plan on doing anything. Why did school matter? They were just going to mate me off to an alpha, so graduating wasn't important anymore.

***

The door beeped as the code was typed in. I checked the time. Case should be in class. It opened, and my grandpa spotted me. He put his phone away.

"Andreas said I needed to take you for one of our talks."

"Are we going to talk?" I asked.

"No," he replied. "I don't really give a damn what my son says. I told him anyone but you, and he didn't bother listening. So, why would I listen to him." He nodded into the hall. "Let's go. You're not the only one who needs to blow off some steam."

I climbed off my bed and went to get my shoes. We exited the dorms and went to the parking lot. Neither of us said anything as we left the school grounds. He drove right to our regular fast food place and ordered the usual items. He passed me my chocolate milkshake as the worker stared at him. My grandpa said nothing and pulled out onto the road the moment we had our order. I sipped my drink as we went to the lookout over the city.

It was sad to think this would end soon.

Stopping the car, my grandpa threw it into park and climbed out. He slammed the door and went to sit on the hood. I grabbed the food bags and joined him. We ate and peered out over the city.

"If Andreas asked, we talked about attending class and responsibility to the pack."

"Got it." I ate a couple of fries. "My parents are fighting."

He nodded. "Your dad spent last night at the mansion."

I sunk into my shoulders. "I made a mess of things."

"No, I did. I should have said no." He clenched his jaw. "I never should have let Fallon and Marcy mate. It was a stupid deal." He glanced at me. "I'm going to keep fighting. You've been through enough. This should be forced onto you."

I smiled to myself. "Thanks, I needed this."

He glanced at me. "Please go to class. You've worked too hard to fail your last year. Finish it for yourself, alright?"

I nodded. "I'll go."

Clasping my neck, he gave it a squeeze. "Call me. If you need a break, call me."

"I will." I took a bite of my burger. I might be spending quite a few more nights up here.

***

I stepped out of the bathroom and took a deep breath.

Case was gathering his books. "Ready?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I can't mope in here forever."

We headed into the hall and joined the stream of boys going to the cafeteria. I felt better, a bit lighter. I joined the food line and grabbed a tray. I reached for a plate of eggs when my bookbag was yanked back. The food spilled onto the floor as I turned around to see what was going on.