Chapter 27: The Patriarch (Jed)

My stomach fluttered as the plane touched down. I didn't want to look out the small window. I was in Wolfsbane, the worst pack on this side of the world for a human. Letting out a deep breath, I glanced at Axil. He didn't seem affected by anything going on.

    The werewolf undid his lap belt as the others started to move around. I sat very still. They should turn this plane around because I wanted to go home. Bowing my head, I gripped my knees. My shoulder was hurting so bad. I just wanted this aching pain to go away, along with the headache that had been pounding in my skull since we took off.

    "Let's go." Axil held out his hand.

    I shook my head.

    The werewolf muttered under his breath. "You're grating on my nerves, just so you know."

    I swallowed hard and leaned back in my seat.

    "Now." Axil stood in front of me.

    Sweat started to bead up on my forehead. "I don't feel good."

    He cursed under his breath. "Humans. Your kind is annoyingly fragile." He licked his finger and rubbed it across my shoulder.

    My head fell to the side and took slow breaths. It was helping, but the pain didn't completely go away.

    "Better?"

    I nodded.

    "Now, let's go," he said firmly.

    Undoing my seat belt, I stood and shuffled toward the door. I still felt nauseous but it wasn't bad enough that I was going to throw up. A black car was sitting at the bottom of the steps.

    The gray werewolf from before was waiting. "So you found him?"

    Axil chuckled as he walked down the steps behind me. "It wasn't hard. That woman did most of the work."

    "I hate her. She always been such a kiss-ass" The werewolf lifted my chin with his claw when I was in reach. "He's looking a little haggard."

    "The kid has a mouth."

    "I'm Nate if you don't remember me."

    "Don't care. All you damn werewolf look the same," I muttered.

    Nate laughed. "I'm glad he's your problem." He opened the car door. "Dad and the patriarch want to meet him. They're at the main house with the alpha."

    Axil nodded and nudged me toward the car. I climbed inside and scooted over to the other side. Axil followed and shut the door as Nate sat in the passenger seat.

    The car started to move. My nerves started to build, making my hands sweat. They were taking me to see the Wolfsbane alpha. I flinched when Axil's hand landed on the back of my neck.

    "Breathe."

    "Don't." I shrugged him off me and leaned against the door.

    He shook his head at me. "You really do need to work on your attitude and realize where you are. This is Wolfsbane. We're not nearly as lenient as Midfield. I decided whether you get to live."

    "I already told you just to kill me. If would be better than to be turned into..." I sucked in my lips.

    "Into what?"

    "A werewolf," I muttered. I knew better than to use any other word.

    Axil grinned at me. "I don't know. I don't mind it." He scratched under his chin. "It comes with its perks."