Chapter 37: One of Our Own (Collin)

~This chapter has an unedited version with a sexually explicit scene, which can be read on Wattpad in The Nitty Gritty which can be found on my profile~

Milo fell asleep on the way home. I was surprised he had made it to the car. The poor pup had been on edge for hours and the moment he was able to relax, he passed out.

"Subs are so weird," said Jedrek under his breath. "Do they all have that happen?"

Axil leaned into his mate's ear. "Be nice."

"I asked a question."

"One that would have hurt Milo's feelings. He's your only friend. Lose him and you're on your own."

Jed scoffed. "How do I lose you?" He glared out the window.

"Not happening, my adorable mate." Axil grabbed the red werewolf's chin and shook it playfully.

Jed slapped the beta's hand away.

With a yawn, Milo rolled onto his side and hid his face in my chest. He buried his nose in my fur and took a deep breath. I brushed back his head fur. He was so beautiful. I hoped if we had a girl, she would get Milo's coloring. A boy would have to have darker fur to appease the alpha. I tightened my hold on the sub. There was nothing anyone could do. Milo was my mate and no one was taking him from me.

"Are you going tomorrow?" asked Axil. "To the luncheon?"

"I didn't think I was invited."

"I'm inviting you. As my secretary, I want you there. The old alphas and betas will be having some sort of meeting. They're not going to waste the chance of having us all together. I'll need to give a report on my work and I'd prefer if you were there."

"Because you never read the reports I give you."

Jed scoffed. "Some beta you are."

Axil eyed him. "You are pushing it."

"When am I not," he said under his breath.

"Jedrek," the beta said firmly. "Enough." He faced me. "There will be subs there that Milo can talk with."

"I don't know." I glanced at the sleeping boy. "Tonight was hard on him."

"It's more casual. It'll be outdoors with fewer dominants around. The pup needs to get used to being around leadership. There are going to be more events in the future."

I sighed. "I'll ask him tomorrow. I'll go, but if he's too tired, I may leave him home."

Jed frowned and sunk down in his seat.

"You are going," said Axil. "So don't even ask."

***

(Milo)

I felt something moved and opened my eyes to see Collin getting out of bed. How did I get here? I looked around the bedroom, confused. The last thing I remember was the car. My eyes grew wide. Oh no, had I been that big of a mess that Collin had to carry me? Jed probably saw, too. I pulled the covers over my head.

The bed pressed down behind me. "How did you sleep?" My mate moved the blankets away from my face.

"Fine."

"What's wrong?"

"I've never been very strong or intimidating, but becoming a werewolf has made me pathetic."

"No, it hasn't." Collin laid on top of me. "You're stronger than any human now. You're just no longer obvious to the fact of what a dominant could actually do to you if they wanted. Humans have an idea but werewolf can actually sense it."