Chapter 19: Nervous

"So, what happened?" Case sat beside me on the grass in our backyard. He picked at the dirt on his soccer ball. "Was it good or bad?"

I shrugged. "Neither, I guess."

"Did you get dominant?" He glanced at me. "There's nothing wrong if you didn't. Since we couldn't go out and celebrate, I thought maybe. But there's nothing wrong with middle rank."

I picked at the grass.

"I bet the alpha will move you up once you learn to shift. I'm sure of it."

With a sigh, I leaned back on my arms. "I didn't get one."

"Didn't get one?" Case seemed confused. "Like a rank?"

I nodded. "My uncle said I'd be a dominant, but I can't have a rank until I learn to shift."

His mouth opened and then closed as he thought it over. "How does that work? Everyone has a rank."

With a shrug, I made a pile of grass. "I can't do the training. You know that camp you have to go to next summer, it's in werewolf form. I can't shift, so it's too dangerous." I sighed. "I'm tired of everything being too dangerous. I can't have my rank until I can learn. It sucks."

Case rolled the ball back and forth. "That does suck. It doesn't seem fair, but I get it. Claws and teeth are awful. My brothers are always fighting and gang up on me."

"Hmm..." I glanced at the ball. "How did your tournament go?"

"We got third." He let out a deep breath. "We missed the finals by one goal. I was so pissed. We came back and won to get third place, so that's something." He spun the ball. "I can't wait to try out for the school team. I'm excited but nervous. If I don't make it, I'm going to do a community team and keep practicing. My coach thinks I have the speed to make it."

I perked up. "We get to be roommates."

"Really?!"

"Yeah, my uncle said so. He thought it would be best if I had a roommate who knows about my condition and won't be rude about it." I hunched over. I wasn't as excited about school as Case.

He hit my leg. "Hey, I messed up once. I was a stupid little pup who let the older kids pressure me into being a jerk. I don't care if you don't learn to shift. Besides, like I said, claws and teeth are overrated. Toxins hurt so freaking bad, I can't stand it."

I ran my thumb across my nails. "Did your toxins come in yet?"

Case nodded. "Yeah. I scratched my brother when he attacked me. My mom got mad, but he's older and the one who did it. She was just happy I didn't hurt one of my little sisters."

"Your house sounds like a real-life wolf pack sometimes."

"Tell me about it," he sighed. "And I'm stuck right in the middle."

I smiled. "I like being the oldest. Drake and Sasha are annoying at times, but they're not too bad."

"My brothers are horrible." He ran his hands down his face. "And my parents only care about my sisters. I get beat up all the time. They only stop them if one of the girls gets hurt. I'm ready for school just so I can escape them."

"We're going to be at the same school as your brothers."

"Yeah, but I don't have to live with them." He grinned at me. "I get to live with you."

I smiled to myself. "I'm nervous about going back. Going from homeschool to boarding school is a lot."

"Well, we live close by, so I'm sure you can go home if you need to. My mom said I can come home on the weekends. She'd come and get me anytime."

"If I called my parents, they'd race each other to get to me first." I glared at the house. "I just need to do it. If I'm going to be a part of the pack, I can't hide forever."

"It's going to be fun," said Case. "We'll make it fun." He held out his fist.

I bumped it. "You won't ditch me?"

Case scoffed. "I learned my lesson, okay. I might have to do some soccer stuff, but besides that, you're stuck with me. So don't you dare ditch me for the higher-ranked dominants. With my luck, you'll learn to shift, and I'll be old news."

I laughed. "I guess neither of us has anything to worry about."

***

I folded up my red blanket and shoved it into the duffle with a few other personal items. I glanced at the suitcase on the bed. Was I ready for this? I had been avoiding going to school for so long that I wasn't sure.

"Rudy?"

Glancing over my shoulder, I smiled at my mom.

"Did you finish packing?"

I nodded. "The academy isn't far away. If I forgot anything, Dad can bring it."

"Are you nervous?" She sat on the bed.

"Not really." I shrugged.

"My family sent me to Midfield, and I was scared to death."

I zipped up my suitcase. "I'll be okay. I'm older now, so I handle the other kids."

She nodded. "You can stay here."

"Mom, I can't hide forever."

"You could wait until you're fifteen or sixteen? Some Northern Ridge werewolves don't enter the Academy until then, so you won't be the only new one."

I sat beside her. "The difference is I live here. My last name is Midfield." I turned to her. "If I ever get my rank, I want to feel like I deserve it. A dominant doesn't hide from something because it's hard. No one is going to respect me if I never go outside." I motioned to the door.

She gripped my hand. "I'm nervous. You grew up on me, and I already know you're not going to tell me if the other pups are bullying you."

Groaning, I fell over my knees. "Please, don't bring that up. You can't bully a dominant. If you do, it'll end a fight. I know that much."

"I disagree." She rubbed my arms and kissed my cheek. "Pups can be mean, but teenagers can be a nightmare."

"Are you trying to say something?" I muttered. "Uncle Andreas keeps saying weird things since my birthday." I ran my hand through my hair.

"It's from my own personal experience, Rue."

I peeked over at her. "Is it weird that my toxins haven't come in yet? I was hoping when they did, I might have a chance at shift."

"I was late," said my mom. "I was almost fourteen. I have your checkup scheduled, so we'll ask the doctor. Okay?"

Nodding, I sighed. "I hope I don't have to wait forever."

"It'll happen." She clasped my hand. "And when you do, you can remind your classmates you are a werewolf, so they better respect you as one."

I smiled to myself. "Toxins are not to be used in that way; that's what Dad said."

She rolled her eyes with a scoff. "Midfield werewolves are pacifists. Your dad is trying to keep the peace. Northern Ridge wolves"—she shrugged—"if someone wants a fight, we'll give them one." She patted my leg. "And if you tell your father I said that, I will deny it."

Smiling to myself, I picked at my nails. "Mom?"

"Hmm..."

"I'm nervous."

She hugged me. "I know, but you're going to do great."

***

Feel free to Link, Comment, and Share! Full Story is complete on Patreon (link on my profile); more is available on Radish Fiction.