Chapter 8: Cats and Dogs (Jed)

"Home sweet home," Coyote opened the door for me and waved me through with a puff of smoke.

I glanced at him as I stepped into the room filled with metal bunk beds.

"Hey, ladies and gents," Coyote put his hands on my shoulder. "This here is Red." He put his cigarette to his lips and expelled another cloud of smoke next to my head. "He's a werewolf killer." He tightened his hold.

Smiles and approving nods came from the group of rather rough looking humans. I had always thought the rebellion was a bit more put together than this.

"Show him where there's an empty bed. He's been running from those dogs all night." Coyote left the room with a wave.

I waved at the air in front of me. I was kind of glad drug use was prohibited under the werewolves. Cigarettes didn't have that pleasant of a smell. I looked around and saw a few other smoking. I guess I was going to have to get used to it. Stepping forward, I walked down the row.

"That's one empty." A girl with short brown hair nodded her head to the side.

I sat down on it and watched two guys across the room playing a card game.

"It's empty because the guy had his fucking head bashed in," chuckled a younger guy with dirt caked on his face.

"Shut it," snapped the girl as she leaned against the bed next to mine. "I'm Pix. That's Snog."

I looked at her confused. "Snog? I'm hoping that's not your given name."

The boy grinned, showing yellowing teeth. "Nope."

"Snog was a hog farmer," she sat down, "and he usually smells like shit. Shithog was the other option."

"Hmmm..." I leaned back against the bedpost. "What's Pix mean?"

"Because she walked in here like a fucking pixie?" laughed Snog.

She smacked his leg hard, drawing a pained looked from him. Turning to me, she forced a smile. "I've been at this for five years. Did I come here looking a bit different than now," she sucked in her cheek, "sure, we all did. My parents were killed by those dogs, and I'm here to repay them by killing a few of their own."

Five years, she didn't look older then me. I looked the girl. She didn't look she had fought much either.

Snog snorted. "He's been here a day and killed more werewolves than you."

"Shut up!" She punched him again.

Snog lurched out of the way and ended up on the floor. "So you going by Red?" He rested his chin on the edge of the bed. "Or something else? Better change it now, or it'll stick."

"I'll take Red over Shithog."

He glared at me as Pix grinned, looking rather pleased.

"I think we're going to get alone." She stood. "Let's go." She motioned to Snog. "I'm not getting up on cleanup duty because of you again."

Snog stood and wandering to the door, muttering under his breath.

"Well enjoy your day off. They don't happen ever. Not with people always dying around here." Pix headed for the door.

With a deep breath, I kicked off my shoes and laid down. The mattress smelled of sweat; at least I hoped it was sweat. Good god, what have I done? Rolling onto my back, I peered up at the bed above me. I was fighting for humankind. I was fighting for my family. I'd free them, and everything would be okay. We'd be together again. Everything would work itself out in the end. I was sure of it.