Chapter 33: Clawing

I finished putting my school supplies away as the door opened.

"Rudy." Case grinned at me. "I finally get a break from my annoying siblings. I am so looking forward to school." He dragged his bags over to his bed. "So, how was summer?" He flopped onto the mattress.

I shrugged. "Fine."

"Did you get to meet Max's mate?"

I shook my head. "Not yet."

Case seemed confused. "Aren't you family with him? Did you get to go to the sub's first moon or whatever? The sub is all over the news."

Swallowing hard, I shrugged. "No. My parents didn't want us getting caught up in a fight. There have been some issues with Wolfsbane, so we're giving the alpha and Max some space."

"That makes sense." He sighed. "Welp, we're starting another year."

"Yeah."

Smiling to himself, Case unzipped his bookbag and lifted out his games. He fanned them out. "Guess who got the new Attack the Pack game?"

I grinned to myself. "I guess we already know what we'll be doing on our first night back."

"Attackin' the pack and taking back the territory," Case sang. "It's going to be awesome!"

***

I gathered my books and slid them into the bag. Gym class was next, and I was dreading it. I needed to talk to my coach and arrange for swimming to take credit for it. I was probably going to have to do the same packets all over again. Stepping into the hall, I followed the flow of boys toward the gym. They went to the locker room while I went inside.

The teacher nodded and held out the familiar white packet.

With a sigh, I took it and started up the steps to the top. One by one, the others arrived in werewolf form and started doing warm-up laps around the track above the bleachers.

I heard muttering every once in a while. The comments were all the same. I'd be annoyed with myself, too. It wasn't fair to them that I never had to do anything.

"Did he go to training?"

I sat up straight.

"He's in the dominant dorms?"

The two werewolves continued on, but the new topic was already spreading. My shoulders rolled forward. Taking a deep breath, I hurried down to the teacher.

"Can I go and talk to my coach? I'd rather swim than do packets."

"Sounds good to me. I hate grading them. Bring that filled out tomorrow." He nodded toward the door.

"I will." I headed into the hall and shoved the packet into my bag. If I was lucky, I'd find a way never to have to come back to this class. I couldn't take another year of sitting on the bench.

***

"I don't want to go." I adjusted my phone as I zipped up my swim bag.

"Rudy," said my mom. "Max is your cousin. You can't avoid him forever. We're family."

"I'm busy. I don't have time. School is starting to pick up."

She sighed. "Okay, but please think about it. If you change your mind, I can come and get you."

"Got it."

"Bye, Rue."

"Bye." I hung up and tossed my phone on the bed where it would be staying. Stepping into the hall, I closed the door behind me and headed for the exit.