Chapter 24: Bastards (Jax)

Camera flashes blinded me as I tried to retain a pleasant expression. Max stood behind me holding onto the back of my chair. I sat very still with a blanket draped over my legs. Max's family was positioned around us as the press took photos of the alpha family. I hadn't seen my family since my first moon. I had a feeling it was because of some of Max's relative's hatred for humans that they had been uninvited to everything.

"Can Jax walk yet?" asked a brown werewolf.

"Work in progress," said Max. "We'll keep the public updated on his condition. He is much stronger and has full mobility in his legs. We're working on his strength."

I gripped the blanket on my lap.

"His markings are to die for," whispered a woman taking notes to a photographer.

I gritted my teeth and tried not to show how annoyed I was with that stupid diamond. Why!? It would have been anything but that. A blob, a smiley face even. Well, maybe not that.

"Does he have any markings on his lower body?" asked a reporter.

Max shook his head. "No."

"Could we get a full body shot?"

I swallowed hard and peered back at Max. "I could try standing again. I can do it if you hold on to me." Maybe then I'd be able to save some of my own self-dignity.

"Are you sure? How are your legs feeling?"

"Fine." I removed the blanket and reached for him. This whole helpless idea this pack was getting in their heads needed to stop now. I was not helpless, and I'd prove it.

Max moved around and slid an arm around my waist. I held onto him as I awkwardly forced my feet under my body. They held! I was standing properly. I was so proud of myself.

I smiled at them and then up at Max. "See."

Laughing to himself, he laid his head on top of mine. The cameras didn't stop. A servant moved my chair, and Max stood up straight as he posed for a proper picture. One that didn't have me looking like a weakling. After a few minutes, my legs started to shake. I tightened my hold on my mate. Max stooped down and scooped me up in his arms. The flashes were blinding, and I had a feeling this was the image they would be publishing. At that point, I gave up on saving any dignity I had left. I guess it came with the rank, but that didn't mean that I had to like it.

"Why don't you take him back to your room?" whispered Andreas to Max. "I'll deal with the reporters until you get back."

Max nodded and excused us from the room. He took me upstairs and away from all those drama obsessed werewolves.

"That went pretty good."

I arched a brow. "Hmm..."

"You don't think so?" laughed Max.

"Vanity must be popular among werewolves."

Max scoffed at the comment, shaking his head. "You're human-born. It's exciting to see how one turns out. The press acts the same with newborn pups."

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks a lot. I love being compared to a newborn pup, but I guess we both can't walk. I might as well be a pup."

Max nuzzled my cheek. "You're just as cute. Especially when you're mad."

My jaw dropped. "You're not helping."

He opened the door to the bedroom and entered. After laying me down, he stretched his arms overhead and slumped down by my feet. "I don't like the press either, but it's part of the job. The pack likes to know what's going on with the leadership."