Chapter 32: A Drive

"Fallon, we're going to be late." My mother hurried past the living room.

I sunk lower into the couch as Drake and Sasha tried to agree on a movie.

"Fallon, we have to leave." She returned as she clipped on her bracelet. "This is a time-sensitive event."

"I'm ready."

My parents stood in the hallway.

My mom started to adjust her mate's robes. "We'll be home late. To bed by ten, got it?"

I nodded.

"Rudy is in charge." She eyed my siblings. "I have my phone, so if there are only problems, call."

"We'll be fine, Mom," said Drake. "We don't need to be babysat."

"I'm so excited to see what he looks like." Sasha squealed. "I bet Max's mate is going to be so cute."

"Behave." She pointed to each of us.

My dad grabbed her hand, and they headed for the garage. I glanced at the siblings. They were still fighting over a movie to watch. With a sigh, I stood and went to make some popcorn. Listening to my siblings argue all night was far better than the alternative of having to go with my parents.

***

I glared at the image on the TV. The morning talk shows were focused on one topic. I didn't want to listen to how the new white and red sub was so amazing and absolutely adorable. Jax was just the most perfect mate for a future alpha.

My dad messed up my hair as he passed me. He went to my mom and kissed her cheek. "Mmm... bacon and sausage. It smells amazing."

"Get a plate because the moment I put it on the table, these pups will devour every last piece."

I stabbed a sausage and glared at it. It didn't matter how perfect the sub may look; he was still human-born and didn't even want to be a werewolf. My mom put the plate in the middle of the table, and my siblings attacked it with their forks.

"Chew, Drake," said my dad as he filled a glass with water.

"He's going through another growth spurt," said my mom. "He'll be as tall as you before we know it."

Clenching my jaw, I stare at my plate. I didn't want any of it. I shoved it forward and left the table.

"Rudy," called my mom. "Rudy, you didn't eat anything. Drake and Sasha will finish it off."

"I'm done," I said, marching to my room and slamming the door.

Going to my bed, I crawled under the mound of blanket on my bed. Even in the summer, they kept the house freezing because they all had fur. What did I have? Nothing but a closet full of sweaters, so I didn't turn into an ice cube.

There was a knock on the door before it opened.

"Rudy?" said my father.

I didn't move. I didn't want to talk or see anyone.

"Would you like to talk about it?"

I stayed hidden under my mound of blankets.

"I know it's hard. You're getting older, which makes it even harder." He sat on the end of the bed. "Will you talk to me?"

I dragged the blankets further over my head.

My dad patted my leg. "I have to go to work, but we can talk tonight if you want."

The door closed, and I slowly poked my head out. We didn't need to talk. Nothing would change. I'd still be stuck as a human while everyone else got what they wanted.