Chapter 16: Rebel Hunting (Jed)

The beast bared his teeth.

I backed up against the wall and felt my breath catch. A werewolf, there was a werewolf in the bathroom. What was I going to do? Swallowing hard, I looked for something to defend myself, but there wasn't even a towel in the room let alone anything else.

"Don't do anything stupid." The werewolf's claws clicked on the tile as he took a step forward. "If you come quietly, I won't hurt you."

"Lair." I made a run for the showers.

I could hear the beast's footsteps behind me. Grabbing the side of the metal rack, I spun around and pulled it over. The werewolf leaped out of the way but didn't make it completely as the metal shelves landed on his legs. He howled and clawed at the ground. I stomped on the rack before jumping to the other side.

I hit a wall of fur and my feet slipped out from under me. A clawed hand wrapped around my neck and lifted me into the air.

The beast growled and turned to his companion. "Letting a pathetic human get the best of you?"

The werewolf on the floor kicked the shelf off him. "Damn bastard tipped it over on me. A few more seconds and I would've had him."

Gagging, I clung to the werewolf's arm.

He put my feet on the ground and forced my head from side to side. "He has good coloring."

The other grabbed a handful of my hair and yanked it back. "For his sake, it better show up in his blood." He grabbed my wrists and twisted them behind my back. A zip cord was looped around them and tightened, so the plastic dug into my skin. "Move."

I stumbled toward the door, gasping for air. What was happening? Why were the werewolves here? I thought this place was safe. We should have been safe here. My mind was spinning. What if they were Midfield werewolves? This could be it for me. If they were Midfield, they'd kill me.

They led me out into the hangar. All the humans they had captured were kneeling in a line on the floor. I didn't know if it was from being choked, but I was finding it hard to breathe. These weren't your typical overgrown dogs. They were top-ranking dominants.

I was forced to my knees and bowed my head. I was going to die. This really was it. My stomach was turning and I felt like I might throw up.

A few more humans were placed into the line as a tall, dark gray werewolf paced the floor with a tablet in his hand. He stopped in the center of the room. "Where should we start?" He smiled showing a mouth full of teeth. "How about here?" The werewolf approached an older woman with short brown hair. "You don't look very promising." He nodded to a shorter werewolf.

She stepped forward and pushed up the human's sleeve and pressed a plastic cylinder to the girl's arm. There was a click, and the woman flinched. The werewolf handed it to the one with the tablet. He placed it into the slot in the machine behind him.

He raised an eyebrow and ran his finger down the screen in his hands. "Oh my, surprises do happen. Not too bad." The beast held the tablet to his chest and knelt in front of the woman. "You're now property of Wolfsbane. Congratulations." He glanced at his companions. "Load her up."

Wolfsbane! I was going to puke. I fell forward and put my head on the cool concrete. I wasn't the only one that looked sick. They lifted the woman to her feet and led her out of the hangar.

"Next." The gray werewolf tossed the use blood tester to the side.

Snog froze when the werewolf approached him. My breath caught as well. What would they do if they didn't like someone's results? What would they do if they found out about my family? I let out slow breaths to calm myself down. My blood was good, but I'd rather die than be a slave under Wolfsbane. Midfield was mild compared to them.