Chapter 28: Melodramatic

"Rudy, come here before you freeze." My grandpa put a blanket around my shoulders and hugged me to him. "Where did you wander off to?"

"Gael wanted to introduce me to some young dominant who could potentially, you know...." My dad went to sit by my mom.

"Is that why Jet came by?" She eyed him.

"I'll tell you about it later." He forced a smile.

Sasha laid across our father's lap. "Is it about me getting to be a traditional werewolf?"

"Too young." He tapped her nose.

"Why would Jet care about our pups?" said my mother. "They're not mating into Wolfsbane. I won't allow it."

My dad shrugged. "One of the boys is a grandson."

My grandpa laughed. "Who isn't one of the man's grandsons nowadays? With Max, Jet has found his way into every major alpha line on the continent."

"I'd rather my pups have nothing to do with him," replied my mother.

"Very few of his grandchildren have anything to do with him." My grandpa looked at her. "Jet only has a relationship with a select few. Same with Darius and Trevor, the family is too big for them to keep in touch with everyone."

"Daven really messed that up," Andreas chuckled. "Six pups, the man was lucky to survive. Dominant pups can be a bit of a handful." He tousled my brother's head fur. "And all his had red markings."

"Look who's talking," said my dad under his breath.

Andreas smiled. "Be careful, Rudy is barely a teenager, and I think the red is a bit more than a few markings." He winked at me.

I smiled and reached for a piece of hair by my ear. The one old alpha was completely red. I wouldn't mind being like Darius or Gael: a fully red werewolf. That would be so cool.

***

The crowd had formed a line to congratulate the new alpha. I held onto my grandpa's hand as we waited our turn. I was ready to go home, but someone had said something about dinner. I hoped I didn't have to stay for it.

"Hector."

My eyes shot up as the old red alpha approached.

"How are you?" Darius hugged him.

"Fine, just fine."

"Good to hear. How is retirement?"

My grandpa eyed his son. "At the moment, good."

"Andreas is doing great, from what I hear. You have to let them do things their way. Then again, I made my son Trevor's problem, and Jagger was kind of perfect." Darius chuckled. "He hung on my every word." He sighed. "If only my grandchildren would do the same. Thankfully, this one is just a great-niece, so I don't get blamed for stuff as much," he whispered to Hector. "She's Titus doing, though I sense she took after Aden's side."

We reached the front of the line.

"Faye," Darius grinned. "Congratulations, we finally dragged you away from Hidden Peak."

The solid white werewolf folded her arms. "I can go back."

"Nope. The ceremony is done, so you're stuck here. Right next door to me."

"Hmm..." She looked him up and down.

"Anyways, you know Hector and Andreas, Max. That's Fallon and his mate, Marcy, she's one of us." Darius lifted a finger. "And their pups, and by the sounds of it, we get one of them." He seemed pretty pleased about that.