Chapter 4: Sub (Jax)

Brown feet entered my view. I peered up at the tall, skinny werewolf from before.

"Have you decided?"

I turned away and forced back the pain building in my chest. "You won't kill them?"

"The one brother will be killed if caught. The others will be left unharmed. Most likely your siblings will be turned just like you."

"Why would someone want me?" I whispered. "Look at me."

The werewolf laughed to himself. "It can be easily fixed. Your parents should have entered you into the registry in hopes you'd be chosen just so you could be cured."

"I don't want to be a werewolf." I wiped my face.

"Be you will?" The man stood tall.

Closing my eyes, I nodded. "I don't want to die."

"I need a verbal confirmation. Do you agree to this mating?"

Swallowing hard, I cleared my eyes. "Yes."

"See, easy enough. Now you'll live a long life and get your legs back. Everyone gets what they want in the end." He pressed on the screen that was propped up on the desk. "He agreed."

The door banging into the wall startling me. The black werewolf with the red stripe entered.

"Jax," said the brown werewolf flicked through his screen, "I'd like to introduce you to Maximus. The successor to the alpha."

My breath caught as I peered at him wide-eyed. "You?"

He knelt down and picked me up.

"Wait, wait." I pressed on his chest as I started to second guess this. "I don't know. I don't think I can do this."

Maximus stopped before stepping through the door. "Clark?"

"Yes, Sir?"

"Was it recorded?"

"Of course."

The conversation we just had started to play, and a simple yes filled the room.

"The boy is yours." Clark smiled at us. "Let's hope that red comes through."

My chest tightened at the thought. I gave my consent. In this world, I couldn't take it back. Once a mating was agreed to that was it. This man was pretty much already my mate. I peered at the face of the werewolf. I'd be the mate to the successor. Covering my mouth, I took a deep breath. I had to stay calm. I'd figure it out.

He carried me through the building. Any werewolf we passed stopped and bowed their head when they saw him. Successor to the alpha, this was unbelievable. This wasn't supposed to happen, not to someone like me. This shouldn't even be possible.

"Successor, Sir," called a short grey werewolf.

Maximus stopped and peered down his muzzle.

"The alpha has arrived. He's waiting for you in your office. He'd like to inspect the boy before you mark him."

Maximus nodded. "Arrange a car to be ready. I want to go home as soon as possible."

"Yes, Sir." The grey wolf backed away with his head bowed.

I shifted my weight, drawing Maximus's attention. His eyes ran over me before he looked straight forward and continued on his way. A golden werewolf stood at the elevator and pressed the button. She stood very still when we passed with her head down and her hands clasped in front of her.

"Successor," she stated.

Maximus didn't respond. The woman entered behind us and pressed a button. The door closed, and an awkward tension formed. What was going on? I felt like the only one that was bothered by the atmosphere. Maybe this was normal for them, but it was weird the way they were just standing there. The dominant was acting like the poor girl was an extension of the elevator.