Chapter 53: Room Tour

"This is a nice spot."

"Hmm..." I finished chewing. "It's where my grandpa takes me when I need to get away from that." I motioned to the city.

"How does that work? You and the alpha family?"

I took a deep breath. "My dad's father was killed during the war. Because my grandma is a human, Hector stepped in to raise my dad. They had been best friends since they were young."

"Like you and Case?"

I nodded. "You remember Case?"

"I roomed with his brother."

"Oh." I took another bite. "I know that.'

"How'd your parents meet?"

"At the academy." I peered out at the city. "What about yours?"

Bruce took a sip of his drink. "School as well."

"Hidden Peak is one of those weird border packs?" I glanced at him. "I overheard my parents talking about it."

He nodded. "Wolfsbane and Northern Ridge claim it. My mom went to a Wolfsbane academy and met my dad. He's from Wolfsbane, but my grandpa, Jet, said my mom could choose anyone she wanted. So, my dad changed packs to be with her."

"Are they like you in human form?"

Bruce glanced at his arms. "My mom is mixed, and my dad's human and werewolf form is black."

"I'm glad that fur color isn't also skin color." I sighed. "I'd look like a strawberry."

Bruce laughed.

"My parents are both white in human form. Not as pale as me, though."

"I think you're fine as you are." He placed his hand on top of mine on the hood of the car.

I froze. What was I supposed to do? I was so bad at this.

"Good to know," I replied with a forced smile.

Bruce rubbed his thumb against my hand before pulling away. "Should we head back? It's getting dark."

Swallowing hard, I nodded. "Yeah." I gathered my garbage and went to the passenger seat. My face was heating up again. I faced the window as Bruce slid behind the wheel.

"Ready?"

"Yep." I bounced my leg.

We were going to be mates, so physical stuff would be a part of that. I needed to work on not being so awkward. Bruce started down the hill toward the academy.

"This was nice."

"Hmm..." I perked up. "Yeah, yeah, it was good."

Bruce sucked in his lips. "Breathe, Rudy. We're just hanging out."

"I thought this was a date?"

"It is." Bruce sighed. "I was trying to help you calm down."

"I'm calm." I faced the window. "This is new for me, but I'm calm."

He nodded. "Um... I don't know if this is good timing, but my mom wanted me to ask about Christmas."

"What about it?"

"We'd like to come here and spend it with your family if that's okay."

"I'll ask my parents," I replied. "It should be fine. We do spend most of it at the mansion."'

"Sounds good." Bruce shifted in his seat. "I'd like to mark you then as well."

I froze. I knew it was coming, but that didn't mean I was ready to talk about it.