Chapter 25: The Lady in Charge (Jed)

I sat between the girls and just stared out the front window of the truck. I was mentally drained. Whatever happened to me today, I'd figure it out. But there was no way in hell I was going back to Axil. His mark meant shit to me.

Hide turned off the main road. We pulled down an alley between two tall buildings. It was hard to comprehend that this city filled with humans was just sitting here while my family was slaves to the werewolves. My stomach fluttered when we went into a tunnel that led underneath a building. This didn't seem safe. I glanced over my shoulder at the last bit of sunlight. This didn't feel good.

The truck stopped in front of a garage door. Cars were parked in rows all around us. I felt sick. I could sense something wasn't right about the situation. A man emerged from a side door. I swallowed hard as Hide rolled down his window. The man nodded and then looked around the interior. He seemed satisfied and waved his hand in the air.

The door started to rise. Hide waited for a moment before pulling forward into the dark room. He put the truck in park and we sat there quietly as the door fell back into place. Cat brushed my leg. I glanced at her, and she gave me a small smile.

"It'll be alright."

"No, it won't be."

The lights turned on. Hide climbed out along with Coyote.

"Don't give up yet," said Cat in a hushed voice. "We have to keep fighting. Giving up only lets the werewolves win." She opened the door and slid out.

A group walked over to them with a woman in a blue business suit in the middle. She had short fluffy hair.

"Mrs. Morgan." Hide nodded at her.

She stopped and folded her arms. "Where is he?"

"In the truck." Hide motioned back toward the vehicle.

The woman nodded to the men beside her. Pix slipped out the other side as the men grabbed me. They led me across the room and placed me in front of her.

Arching a brow, she looked me over. "So you're it?"

I stared at my feet. This must be the woman Cat was talking about last night.

Lilith held out her hand. A man in a suit handed her a tablet. She clicked a few things before holding it up to my face. "Look at me."

I glanced up and then back down.

She snatched my chin and squeezed. "A little haggard, but I do believe this is Axil's mate."

"I'm not his mate." I jerked my head back. "That bastard bite me. That's it. I'm not some dog."

She smiled at me. "He was one of yours, right?" Mrs. Morgan looked to Hide, who nodded.

"This is Red."

"Red?" She smiled. "You mean"—she held up the tablet—"Jedrek Row, Family 29506, property of Midfield. Well, ex-property." She handed the tablet to someone behind her. "You're a wanted man for murdering a werewolf. I'd sell you off to Midfield if it weren't for that mark." She yanked my t-shirt to the side.

I stepped back. "Sell me to Midfield. I'm not becoming some dog's bitch."

Hide scratched his neck. "What are you going to do with him?"

"Elections are coming up. In order for the rebellion to survive, I need to retain the favor of the werewolves. Having Wolfsbane's blessing will make reelection easy."

"Fucking hell." I backed up and hit a wall of men. "I told you! I told you, I won't go back to him. I'd rather you shoot me."

"Come on, Lilith," breathed Hide. "I didn't bring him to you just so you could turn him over to those mutts. If he's just going to become one of them, I would have put a bullet in his head."