Chapter 18: Dinner Time (Milo)

I never knew that a family dinner could be so stressful. Back with my old master, there was never this much tension. I glanced at the werewolves seated around me. They were all eating but my stomach was too uneasy. Being here had made me too nervous to eat anything. It was so weird to be sitting at the same table as werewolves. Slaves were never allowed to do something like this. They'd be punished for even disturbing the master's family during dinner.

Grabbed my glass, I sipped at the water. Hopefully, it would help settle my stomach.

"You have very unique coloring," said Jazette.

I froze. "Thank you, ma'am." I put the cup down and placed my hands in my lap.

"Jaze is fine." She gave me a smile.

"Was Collin happy with it?" asked Rosette.

I nodded. "He said he likes it." I gripped my knees. "Master figured I'd be a sub."

"Omega," said the mistress. "It would be better if you were pure white."

"Mom, be nice," said Jaze. "Milo is pretty close to being pure white."

I picked at the silver fur on my leg. It could be a bit darker and I'd still be considered a sub.

"Have you met with any other werewolf of your rank?" asked Jaze.

"He's not allowed out of the room," stated Ari, firmly. "Collin is going to be pissed when he finds out about this. Let's not push it."

My ears splayed out. He was going to be mad at me. I really should have thought this through better. When he called tonight, I'd have to man-up and tell him. The fur on my arms stood on end at the thought.

"I know some subs," said Jaze. "I could arrange a meeting with them."

My head snapped up and I fought my tail to keep it still. "Really? Are they"—I swallowed the lump in my throat—"Um... human-born?"

She nodded. "Human mates are encouraged in this pack. It keeps the pack's genetic pool from getting stagnant. It's why we can hold our own against Midfield and NR."

I frowned when she mentioned the other packs. "They treat their humans so poorly," I said softly to myself.

Jaze leaned toward me from where she sat across the table. "You are fortunate to be born in Wolfsbane. Midfield outlawed human mates until not too long ago. In Northern Ridge, they might have just killed you."

A pain grew in my chest. I was lucky to be born to a pack that would find some use for a human of my capabilities. I took a deep breath and forced myself to eat.

"So would you like to meet some other subs?" asked Jaze.

"Not until Collin gets home," stated Miss Arianna. "You shouldn't be asked Milo that, anyways. It's up to Collin. He's the dominant partner. He can't leave the house without his permission."

"Does he have permission to be out of their bedroom?" Rosette eyed her daughter. "I may not like it but the boy is a werewolf now. No one is going to be stupid enough to hurt the mate of my son. Collin is destined for great things if he simply tried to reach his full potential."

Arianna pushed her food around. "You still need to ask him. Seeing other subs would be good for Milo but I promise Collin. Milo has to stay in the house until he gets back so he doesn't have worry about Milo." She turned to me. "Training is really hard on everyone and even worse for dominants." She looked at her mother and sister. "We should all try and make it easier on him."

"That's what I'm doing," said Jaze. "Milo needs to meet with others of his rank. He's new to being a werewolf and it's not like we can teach him what is expected of a sub. We're all high ranking members. We don't even have any middle ranks working around the house, either."