Chapter 46: Giving Up

"Rudy, Rudy, are you out here?!" called my dad. "Rudy."

I didn't move and continued to rip at the grass at my side. I had nothing to say to any of them.

"Rudy." My dad appeared a ways off. He looked along the wall and spotted me. "There you are. You had us worried. We've been looking for hours."

I continued to add grass to my pile.

He wandered down and stood above me. "I know nothing I say will make it better."

"Then don't."

"Rudy?"

I stood and wiped my hands on my jacket. "Don't talk to me." I walked off into the bushes and headed for the building.

"Rudy, it's not fair." My dad jogged after me. "I know that. I'll talk to Gael. I'll see if he'll reconsider. Rudy, stop and look at me." He grabbed my arm.

I ripped it free and marched on.

"We'll figure something out," he yelled after me. "Andreas and I will talk to them. Bruce might be okay with someone else."

Ignoring him, I headed straight for the side of the building. The few subs that were out scattered when I came near them. Stepping off the sidewalk, I walked down the middle of the road to the gate. There was nothing they could say to make it better. The decision was made. Gael would never reconsider. An alpha wasn't going to change their mind after sending the paperwork.

The guards watched me come toward them.

"The alpha is looking for you."

"I'm going to my room."

He pointed at the building. "He wants you in his office."

With a sigh, I sat against the gate and leaned my head back. Sooner or later, they'd have to open it, but I was not going to Andreas's office. He'd force me to sign that paper. I wouldn't do it. He could declare me a rogue because I was not changing packs.

"He's at the gate. No, Sir. The boy doesn't look like he's going to move. Alright."

I glanced at the guard, who shook his head and whispered something to the other. They both went into the booth and left me alone. I knew why soon enough. I could see the black car coming down the road. It stopped in front of me and the alpha and my father climbed out.

"Have you calmed down?" asked Andreas.

I peered off to the side.

"You need to come to my office. We're not done."

"I won't sign it."

"Rudy," the alpha said firmly. "Enough. It is your duty as a dominant to ensure the safety and prosperity of this pack."

"I'm not a dominant." I flicked a stray pebble toward the grass. "So that doesn't apply to me."

"Rudy, I am trying," breathed the alpha. "I don't want to do this but we have to hold up our end of the deal."

I glanced at my father. "No."

The alpha breathed out through his nose.

"Andreas." My dad moved between us. "Let's give it some time. It's a lot to process. It's a lot for me, let alone Rudy. I'll take him home and I'll talk to him."

"Gael made his choice." He pointed at me. "I don't want to give him Rudy, but I have my honor as the alpha of this pack to keep to the agreement made with other packs—an agreement made for you. I can't get Rudy out of this. I tried. Gael wants his compensation for losing Marcy."