Chapter 38: Injection

Most of the swimmers were in werewolf form. Only a few were human and wearing their school uniform, so I didn't feel too out of place. It was more casual, so at least no one was wearing formal robes.

I sat with my family outside at a table near a rose garden. My grandpa and father would wander off to talk to people, but everyone else stayed with me as we ate. I could feel people looking at me. I was used to it but I was hoping it might be for other reasons than being a human surrounded by werewolves.

"Their alpha mansion is nice," said Drake. "The building is one of those old ones with all the pillars."

"It belonged to the human government before Wolfsbane took over," said Sasha. "We learned about it in history. The borders were all different back then."

I nodded. "Midfield and Wolfsbane used to be part of one big country." I glanced around. "I wonder what it was like back then?"

"When humans were in charge?" said Drake. "Sounds miserable being led by people with no instincts."

"Still, some werewolves from that time are still alive. They would know what it was like to have to hide."

Drake eyed me. "For you, it probably wouldn't be so bad."

I elbowed him.

"Ow! I was kidding." He rubbed the spot.

"Stop whining. You have fur to soften the blow. You probably couldn't even feel it."

He grinned at me.

I noticed humans in the shadows wearing black suits. They were quick to move in with more food and then disappear again. I perked up when a familiar black werewolf entered my line of sight. Jet had spotted my grandpa who was talking to some leadership from the southern packs.

"There he goes again," said Drake. "Grandpa was telling us how the old alpha is obsessed with you."

I glared at him. "Not funny."

My brother grinned. "He's Wolfsbane. He doesn't get a say."

"But he has ties to Bloodhound," I replied, "and Bruce is one of the options."

"Bruce?" said Drake. "You haven't seen him in years. I barely remember him from when we were pups."

"I went to school with him for two years. He was roommates with Case's brother. Jet is his grandfather."

"Who isn't Jet's grandpup?" muttered Drake, rolling his eyes.

"We're not," I replied. "So we're a prime option."

"Rudy"—he looked me in the eyes—"Sasha has her heart set on a traditional mate."

"I do," she piped in. "I'm tired of all the civil boys. I want a real werewolf." She peered off across the garden.

I sank into my chair. It didn't matter if my sister was volunteering to change packs. We didn't get to decide. Gael would, so Sasha better start trying to impress his son or Bruce. I sat up a little. Why was I assuming Bruce was gay? He might prefer women. I smiled to myself. I was feeling a bit better about my prospects.

I swallowed hard as my grandpa approached with Jet close behind. "Rudy, there are some people who would like to talk to you."

"Me?"

He nodded. "I'll stick with him," he said to my mother, waving for me to come.

I wiped my face with my napkin and stood. This better be about swimming, but with Jet around, it was making me worry. We walked through the garden and into the house. I followed my grandpa into a sitting room. My dad was already there with some werewolf I didn't know.