Chapter 17: Butt Naked (Jed)

I couldn't breathe. Everything was black. I had kept drifting in and out of consciousness. I'd felt the initial pain of his teeth piercing my skin, but my body couldn't fathom the shock of his toxins and had chosen to go numb instead.

A soothing feeling came from my shoulder. With every pass, the pain was lessened until it reached a point I could physically handle the remaining toxins in my bloodstream. Gasping for air, I arched my back. It still hurt so bad. My sight began to clear. Clenching my jaw, I let my head roll back.

I was going to throw up again.

"Stop moving." The black werewolf pinned me to the couch and ran his tongue along the scar.

Sweat coated my body and my strength had left me. So that was what it felt like to be marked. It had hurt like a bitch. He climbed off me, and I toppled onto my side. As long as I stay still, I could force back the nausea.

"Fucking hell, Axil, I was worried you killed the kid for a second there," laughed Nate. "He went white as a ghost." He bumped his brother's arm. "You'll finally have our parents off your back about this mating shit."

The black werewolf smiled. "I don't think you're in the clear. Better get to work on finding one of your own."

"Well aware," breathed Nate. "I can already here mom nagging me about it.

Chuckling to himself, Axil peered down at me. "I have a feeling he's going to be difficult to tame." He folded his arms. "For now put him with the others. We'll keep it a secret until we get back to Wolfsbane. Mom can't keep secrets, and it'll only cause tension in the family if I take away from Maxie's big day."

"Well, the kid is Max's brother-in-law." Nate nodded toward me. "They might be happy if we bring him along."

"Don't say it like that. It sounds gross." Axil cringed. "Besides Jed, here is a wanted murder," the black werewolf messed up my hair, "not exactly something you bring to a First Moon of the Successor's mate. Midfield has a dead or alive bounty on him from what I hear."

I just laid there, trying to regain my breath. My shoulder was still burning.

"They're not going to kill him," said Nate. "You've claimed him."

"I know. But I'd rather wait and avoid the family drama." Axil leaned down and picked me up. "I hope the red shows up." He carried me from the room and went back to the hangar.

"The good humans are loaded," said a brown werewolf. "We're ready to go..." Her eyes went to my shoulder. "Sir?"

Axil looked around at the werewolves standing nearby. "I found my mate," he said with a smirk.

Cheers and hollering filled the room. It pissed me off. I tried to get away, but it was a pathetic attempt. My body was done for the day.

"Listen here!" announced Axil. "This stay between us. My cousin, the Successor of Midfield, is having a celebration for his mate's first moon. And we don't want to outdo Maxie's big day."

Snickers filtered among the werewolves.

"Keep it quiet." Axil eyed the group. "I'll be making the announcement later after I return to Wolfsbane, so keep your mouths shut until then. Got it?"

A 'yes sir' sounded from the surrounding werewolves. Axil looked at the brown one in front of him. "You are to take him and the rest of the humans back to Wolfsbane. Put the others up for auctions, and see to it that Jed is delivered to my home."

"Yes, sir." She took me from him. "I'll make sure he arrives safely, sir."

"I sure hope so." He lifted her chin with a claw. "The boy in your arms is my fiance. Remember that?"