Chapter 5: Slice of Bread (Milo)

I was mentally and physically drained as I staggered down the servant staircase. It had been hours since they drag me off to play dress-up. Not to mention, it took forever to find the hidden staircase while worrying about not being spotted. I went to the supply closet and washed my face. There wasn't a mirror around to see if I had gotten it all off. I did one more rinse before gathering my things and going back to work.

After sweeping and re-cleaning areas, I finished up the last section. My back was aching. I twisted from side to side. Hopefully, the polish would go on smoother. I was allow to use mop for that. I was halfway done when I heard the door open. I perked up and spun around. The young master entered. My chest tightened and I sunk back into the corner.

Should I leave? He didn't seem to notice that I was there.

Collin sat down at the table and rubbed his forehead. He looked rather stressed. I swallowed the lump in my throat and decided I'd wait it out. The werewolf would eat his lunch and leave. I still had time to get the floor done before dinner.

I shifted my weight to my other foot and Collin's ear flicked toward me. His eyes followed.

"What are you doing there?"

I bowed my head. "I was doing the floor, sir."

He looked around. "Oh yeah, I see. You can finish if you like. I don't mind."

"I don't want to disturb you, sir."

"You're not. Go ahead." He started looking at all the different containers.

Most of the food had been put away. I crept over to where I had left off and continued. Thankfully, I had been smart enough to do around the table first and it had enough time to dry. I made my way around the room while Collin sat quietly at the table, messing around on his tablet. Finishing, I gathered my things and headed for the kitchen.

"Done?"

I stopped and nodded. "Yes, sir."

He looked from side to side. "Looks great." His eyes landed on me. "What is on your face."

I tried to wipe at my eyes without dropping the mop. "I—I'm sorry. I thought I cleaned it all off."

"Come here." He grabbed a fabric napkin and flicked it.

After setting my things by the door, I shuffled around the table.

Collin chuckled. "It's everywhere." He pulled out a chair and motioned to it.

I glanced between him and the chair.

"Go on sit."

Doing so, I positioned myself on the edge of the seat and stared at my lap.

"You're still not going to look at me?"

"Do you want me to, sir?"

"No. Close your eyes."

I did so. He lifted my chin and felt him wipe under and around my eyes.

"My sister did this, right?"

"Yes, sir."

"Even after I told her not to bother you. That girl. I'll have a word with her to make sure she leaves you alone. She gets a little excited when her friends come over."

The pressure around my eyes left. I opened them and immediately looked at the ground. "Thank you, sir."

Collin rested his elbow on his table and placed his muzzle on his palm. An awkward silence filled the room. I didn't know if I was allowed to leave or not. I smelt some of the bread Collin had been snacking on and my stomach started to growl.