Chapter 13: Bottomless Pit Syndrome (Jax)

My legs hadn't miraculously recovered, unfortunately. Max still had to carry me to the breakfast table. His parents were waiting for us.

Alice quickly stood and hurried over to greet us. "I am so happy for you both." She hugged us and patted my cheek. "Now we can set the official date." She looked at her son.

"Sure." Max took me to the table and sat me down in a chair on the far side. He took the one between me and the alpha. "Jax, this is my Aunt Sunny."

I gave a slight wave. "Hi."

"Welcome to the family, Jax. We're all so excited for Maximus and you." She smiled.

"Thanks." My stomach started to growl when I smelled the food.

They laughed and gave me knowing looks.

"The werewolf is coming out in him." Alice sat beside her mate. "You'll be eating everything in sight for the next few weeks to help your muscles heal."

"I feel a little stronger," I breathed. It wasn't as hard to sit up at least.

Max dished himself and me some of the food. Besides a couple piece of bread, most were eggs and meat. We ate quietly as the others talked about my upcoming events. Max gave an occasional nod, but it was clear my mother-in-law would be in charge of planning it. When I first saw the mound of food Max dished me, I didn't think I'd finish it, but I did. Along with a second plate with just as much piled onto it. My stomach was also still grumbling for more, so I spread jam on a couple slices of bread and hoped that would be enough.

"I know you want it to be just close family for his shifting, but what about his First Appearance." Alice glanced at her son as she ran her finger down a tablet screen. "Your rank means it's only proper to invite the surrounding packs and any of our allies from overseas."

I sat up and saw a list of names.

"I don't care as much about the First Appearance," said Max. "Invite whomever you want. His first moon will be family only." He locked eyes with his mother. "Right?"

Alice smiled. "Of course. The invitations will be sent out by tomorrow. It'll just be a small group." She put her list to the side and clasped her hands on the table. "What about Jax's family?"

My head snapped to my mate. "Will you let me see them?"

Max rubbed between his eyes and thought for a moment. "I feel I should meet with his parents beforehand."

Andreas gave an approving nod. "It'll be better to break them into the idea in private. Humans can take it hard at times."

"Right. Introduce myself, and then I'll invite them personally," said Max.

"Can I come too?" I swallowed hard.

Turning in his seat, Max looked at me. With a sigh, he faced forward and stared at the wall. "You're my mate now. I'm not giving you back to them. Do you understand that?"

"Yes." I sucked in my lips.

"I don't want to cause any conflict between us. I know your family is important to you, but that doesn't mean that they have any say when it comes to our relationship. As the future alpha, I won't tolerate disobedience or acts of rebellion."

"What's he trying to say, Jax," said Alice, "is we're just worried that your parents might demand you stay with them. Right now the press is watching all of us very closely." She motioned around the group. "Well more so than usual. Especially you. It's not every day that an alpha chooses a mate."

Max's placed his hand on top of mine. "Do you promise not to cause any problems?"

I nodded. "I just want to see them."