Chapter 23: Overbearing Mates (Jed)

I felt like shit. My skin was on fire from being sunburnt. My feet were pulsing, along with my head. Maybe it would be better if Hide just killed me and put me out of my misery. I opened my eyes and sat up. Where in hell was I? Cars filled a multiple lane road. Huge buildings rose up on either side of us. Had they taken me to some werewolf city?

"Breathe, Red." Cat grabbed my hand. "You look like you're going to pass out."

"Haven't you ever seen a city, boy?" said Coyote.

"No," I said in a hushed voice. "This—this is a human city?"

Cat nodded. "This is Houston. It's the largest free human state on this side of the world. After the werewolf took over, humans were pushed south. The packs in South America kept them from going too low, so this is where they settled."

Leaning forward, I rubbed my face. "I don't feel good. I really don't feel good."

"Take the next exit," said Coyote. "I need to smoke. Being surrounded by all these dog lovers is making me antsy."

The truck turned onto a ramp that led to a light. I just stared at everything that was going on around me. Hide turned and went to an area that had what looked to be stores lining it. The parking lot in the middle of them was nearly full. Some many free humans, yet they just allowed their own kind to be slaves to the werewolves.

Hide turned off the truck. "Tie the kid up." He glanced back at me.

Cat took the rope and did so.

"You are to stay right there. If anyone sees that mark on your shoulder, they'll call the police, and the werewolf will be here in ten seconds to take you back and slaughter us," said Hide.

I sunk down lower in my seat.

"I'm going to go buy the kid some clothes. Cat and Pix, get us some food." He took out some money and handed it to the girls. "Coyote, you get to babysit."

"Fine by me." He opened the door and quickly lit up a cigarette.

Hide looked at me. "Keep your head down. Kidnapping a werewolf's mate is a death sentence."

Swallowing hard, I nodded. "I won't move."

"Leave your door open, Coyote." Hide climbed out of the trucks, along with the girls. "Give the kid some air."

The breeze felt amazing. I laid my head on the center and closed my eyes. I could have done without the smell of smoke, but it wasn't too bad. I started thinking to myself. What if Hide did sell me? Would that person give me back to Axil or kill me? It still wasn't a for sure thing that Hide would off me himself. What were my options? I could either become a werewolf's bitch or die. Both horrible, but I'd rather take the second.

***

(Jax)

"Jax?" Max opened the door. His eyebrows raised up. "So you learned how to change back."

"Aden taught me."

The man sitting on the bed nodded. "Not all of us like being covered in fur constantly."

The door swung to the side. A tall black werewolf entered. Aden smiled and went to him.

"Look at you, all furless." He put his arm around Aden's shoulders.

"Jax, this is my mate, Titus."

I waved. "Hi."

"And here I came to see the new sub, and you taught him how to change back to human," laughed Titus.