Chapter 30: Couple Fights (Jax)

I dangled my feet over the side of the bed. The doctor had confirmed what I already knew. Nothing was wrong with me. My hip didn't even bruise. I grabbed onto the bedpost and put my weight on my feet. They were a little unsteady, but my legs felt good.

"Jax!" My mate slammed the door as I sunk back down onto the bed. "Are you trying to piss me off?" He snatched my upper arms and lifted me up before putting me in the middle of the bed. "I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself."

He was getting on my nerves.

"You've already fallen once..."

Yeah, once out of the hundred of steps I've taken when he wasn't around.

"You're going to hurt yourself..."

Hmm, I guess werewolf were now being made out of glass now. I was more likely to hurt myself as a human. I rolled my eyes.

"Jax? Are you even listening?"

"Shut up," I stated.

Max jerked back and stood up straight. "What?"

"Shut up," I said firmly. "I'm sick and tired of you. I get it. You're busy. But if you were so damn busy, you shouldn't have taken a mate in the first place."

"There's a good chance you won't be alive right now if I hadn't taken you as a mate."

I scoffed at the comment. "What's the difference? I might as well be dead, because becoming a werewolf hasn't been any different than when I was human. I'm not allowed to do anything. I might as well be dead." Folding my arms, I turned away from him. "I wish I wasn't your mate. Anyone else but you, because you clearly have no time for anyone but yourself."

I waited for a comeback, but it never happened. I glanced over at the werewolf to see him standing there with his ears splayed to the side.

Oh my god, was he going to cry?

"Max?" I sat up straight. "I didn't mean it like that. I'm sorry. You're a great mate, but you have to understand what I'm going through."

He didn't respond.

"Max?" I reached for his hand. "Max, come on. I'm sorry."

The werewolf blinked a couple of times before turning and going to his office. The door closed and the room fell still. I didn't mean to hurt his feelings, but I was pretty sure I said something I shouldn't have to a dominant werewolf.

***

(Jed)

I laid on the bed, curled up in one of Axil's robes. It would have been easier if he would buy me some clothes. I reached for the white canister on the bedside table. I took out a couple of pills and tossed them in my mouth and washed it down. Even with the drugs, I felt off. I was so tired. It was nice that Axil had started leaving me alone shortly after we went to the hospital, though. For the last two days, he'd come back at night and didn't say much. Even when he did say anything to me, I never answered him back.

Besides the human servants who brought my food and must have been ordered not to talk to me, no one else bothered me. I carefully touched the tender spot of my arm. Tonight was the full moon. I sat up and scanned the room. That damn werewolf had hid the good drugs somewhere. It was kind of scary that those had to be saved for after I shifted.

Closing my eyes, I rubbed my face. I was going to be a werewolf. It wouldn't be permanent; I had to keep telling myself that. I was kind of curious to see what I'd look like, but god forbid I be stuck as one of those mangy mutts for the rest of my life. Having claws might come in handy when I try to escape, though.