Chapter 7: In-Laws (Jax)

I sat very still in the corner of the couch. It was so weird. Every picture of the wall was a werewolf doing human-like things. I finished off the glass of water a servant had brought me and set it on the end table. The inside of their house was expensive, but nothing like I expected. Going off of how the werewolves back home acted, I thought there'd be animal remains strung everywhere, and the floor stained with cow blood. But this was very civil. The overseers' homes were always a mess, but this was cleaner than my parents' house, and my mother was a slight clean freak.

I glanced the around the room, starting to wonder where the bathroom was located. My chest tightened when I spotted Max standing with his mother and a solid black werewolf. That must be his father. They entered the sitting room.

"Jax," said Maximus. "This is my dad, Lorenzo and my mother, Alice."

Lorenzo stepped forward. "What's wrong with his legs?"

I gripped my knees.

"He has a human genetic disorder. Once we mate, it'll be corrected, and we'll work on building up the strength in his legs."

Lorenzo nodded. "Just as long as it can be fixed."

"It will be."

"So serious," said Alice, moving past them and coming to sit on the couch. "His bloodline already has Andreas's approval. That is good enough for me." She smiled. "We need someone like you. Everyone thinks the alpha family is so ruthless and scary. Subs make us more relatable."

"If you have the rank being relatable doesn't matter," said Lorenzo, eyeing his mate. "Max could mate with this boy or another, who happens to be a dominant, they will respect him as their alpha either way."

She glanced at the black werewolf with an eyebrow raised. "Some of us get tired of reading about how emotionless my family is toward lower ranks. This will help whether you care or not. I'm very excited to have Jax as part of the family."

I leaned into the side of the couch and started to fidget. I had been holding it to the point it was getting dangerous.

"Is something wrong, Dear?"

"I need to use the bathroom."

Alice sat up straight. "There's one just down the hall. Max can show you."

My face started to feel warm, and I sat very still.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry." She grabbed my hand. "I sure Max can help you. He will be your mate."

"I just need someone to take me. I can do the rest myself." I could feel the heat coming off my face.

Max stepped forward and picked me up. Thank god, because I couldn't take sitting there with his parents staring at me any longer. He took me down the hall to a bathroom. Max stood in front of the toilet. The awkward tension was back, and the way he was just standing there was making it a hundred times worse.

"Just put me on the floor."

"How will you get up on it?" asked Max.

"I can do it." This whole situation was mortifying.

Putting up the toilet seat, Max sat me on top it. "Yell if you need help."

He left the room and closed the door.

Leaning forward, I covered my face. "Just shoot me," I whispered. These damn werewolves making everything harder than it had to be.

I somehow maneuvered my pants down and took care of business. I yanked up my pants and sunk to the floor, before flushing. The door opened, and Max peeked inside.