Chapter 27: Bloodlines

I stuck to my father's side as we weaved through the gathering. My senses were overwhelmed. There were a lot of highly-ranked individuals in this room. I noticed a camera had been set up and was pointed at a platform on the far end.

"Fallon!"

I jumped when another red werewolf with gray speckles in his fur hugged my dad.

"Look at you. You still seem like a pup in my head, but how many pups do you have now?"

"Three." My dad smiled.

The werewolf looked at me. "Where'd you get that red hair, pup? It's not from your old man." He pointed at my dad with a grin.

I shrugged. "I don't know."

"Rudy, this is Darius," said my father.

"Hi." I moved closer to my dad.

"How old are you now?" Darius looked me over.

"Thirteen."

"Great age for a pup. Exciting time."

"Where's Bruce?" asked Gael.

"Bruce?" I whispered.

Darius shrugged. "I'm too old to be babysitting teenagers. Titus!" he called. "Where's your brat at?"

The black werewolf flipped him off and wandered away with a sub.

"Did you see what he did?" said Darius. "Demote him."

Gael sighed. "To what?"

Darius shrugged. "Omega, then Aden can be higher ranked for once." He nudged the alpha.

"I'm not starting fights for you."

"Disrespecting your own grandpa?" Darius looked appalled.

Gael rolled his eyes. "Please, go find grandma and sit down."

The older werewolf grinned at me and put an arm around Gael. "Don't turn out like this, one. Alphas these days have it easy. In my day, we stamped out disrespected the moment we saw it."

I watched the pair, confused by what was going on. I couldn't tell if he was being serious or if this was all one big joke. Darius gave us a wave and headed off in the direction the black werewolf and sub went.

Gael snatched a younger werewolf with black and red fur that was passing by. "Xavier, where is Bruce?"

He shrugged. "With his mom? I don't know."

The alpha glanced at us. "This is my eldest son, Xavier. He's sixteen."

"A potential?" muttered my dad.

"Maybe." Gael eyed his son.

Xavier's head rolled to the side. "I don't want to talk about this."

"You can see where he inherited his attitude from." Gael shook his head. "You hang out with your Grandpa Darius too much."

The boy scoffed. "I'll tell him that."

"Do you go to Midfield Academy?" I asked.

Xavier shook his head. "No. We have academies here." He looked me over. "You're the pup with the shifting issues. Aw!" He rubbed the spot where his father pinched him.

"Go and find, Bruce now," said the alpha.

"Fine." Xavier marched off.

"Sorry." Gael shook his head.

"I met Bruce," I replied. "At school, if it's the same one."

Gael nodded. "I'm thinking so. He's one of the few upper ranks that decided to go there."