Chapter 3: Excuses (Collin)

I tapped my claw on the table as my mother chatted with the Randolph Estate family. I was ready to go home. The mounds of paperwork and planning for the upcoming harvest were all waiting on my desk.

Ebony glanced at me. "So Arianna, how's school?"

My little sister shrugged. "Boring."

My mother shook her head. "Arianna, mind yourself."

Ari sighed. "It's fine. My mom is making me go to the all-girls academy. I would've preferred to go to public school with some boys in it." She eyed our mother.

She sat up straight. "Newark Girls Academy is a perfect school."

Ebony smiled at my sister. "I went there too. There's plenty of time for boys later."

I let out a heated breath. Why was I even here?

"They make you wear a uniform," stated Ari. "In human form. No thank you. I'd rather go public."

"I didn't even let your brother go to a public school." My mother motioned to me. "So stop complaining."

"Yeah," I said. "She could ship you off to the other side of the pack where you're only allowed to be in werewolf form in your room." I stood. "So stop whining." I finished off my drink. "I have work to do, so I'll be leaving early."

"Collin," called my mother as I head for the exit. "Collin, what about dessert?"

"I hate sweets." I waved. "See you back at home."

I grabbed my robe from a servant at the door and headed outside to the car that was waiting. Climbing into the back, I sunk into my seat. Why was my mother still trying to make this work? I'd never be able to trust the woman. Closing my eyes, I enjoyed the small amount of peace. The hidden pocket on the inside of my robe started to vibrate. If it was my mother trying to get me to turn this car around, I wasn't even going to bother answering.

Taking the phone out, I groaned. It was worse. I pressed answer. "Hi, Dad."

"Collin, where have you been? I've been trying to get ahold of you all night."

"Dinner at the Rudolph."

"Is your mother still hoping you and Ebony might get back together?"

"As are you."

He laughed. "She has a good bloodline. She'd ensure our place in the pack if not better it."

"No matter our placement, my pups will be raised to run the estate. The same way you raised me."

He let out a deep breath. "True. So the reason I'm calling is I won't be able to come home next week."

Rolling my eyes, I laid my head back. I should have known he'd cancel again. "Hmm..."

"The beta is announcing his mate."

"No wonder you can't get away." I peered out the window.

"The alpha wants to make sure the celebration outdoes the one given for the successor of Midfield."

"Hmm... I'll let mom know."

"I'll try to get back home as soon as I can, but with the end of the year coming, it probably won't be for awhile."

"Just let us know. I have everything handled here."

"I'm proud of your Collin. This position has been a great honor on our family and I've been really impressed by how you stepped up to take care of things at home."

"I'm simply doing what I was raised to do." I rubbed my temple.

My father laughed. "Well, don't be taking too long to find a mate of your own. You're not as young as you used to be."

"If Axil can wait to find one at 28, I think I'm fine at 25."

"Is that all you are? I thought you were older."

"I feel older," I muttered.

He chuckled. "Keep up the good work. I'll give your mother a call when I can. Bye."

"Bye." I pressed the end button.

He always found some excuse to not come home. I shouldn't be surprised, though, the beta finding a mate was a pretty good excuse. I wondered what kind of werewolf Axil finally decided on. I had known him during my school days. He had been a few years ahead of me, but we had played rugby together. He was a problematic werewolf to be around sometimes. I felt a little sorry for the werewolf that had to put up with such an intense man as Axil.

The car stopped outside the mansion. A servant opened the door for me and I climbed out. As I walked up the steps, I heard something by the garage. The raccoons were out again.

I slid off my robe and handed it to a house slave. "Hang that up for me."

She took it and with a bow, went inside. I wandered around the edge of the drive to the back of the garage. A human was struggling to get the lid of the dumpster open. I took a step forward and the human dropped to the ground. The boy sat on the ground with his head bowed. His arms were filled with weeds.

"There's a latch." I walked over and showed him. "We lock it to keep out the raccoons."

The slave nodded. "I didn't see it, Sir."

I undid the latch. "Human sight has never been the best." Tilting my head to the side, I saw the boy was nearly in tears. "Milo."

The human flinched.

"I got your name, right?"

"Yes, master."

"Well, come on." I lifted the lid. "Dump it in."

Milo jumped to his feet and tossed in the bundle in his arms before working on the large pile on the ground. Once he was done, the slave sunk back against the wall. "Thank you, sir."

I dropped the lid and latched it. "It's late. Run off to bed. I'm sure they'll have a list of chores for you to do in the morning."

He bowed and raced off to the servant house. I watched him stumble through the night and smiled to myself. Humans, they were funny little things.

***

(Milo)

I hurried inside and closed the door. My heart was pounding. I sat on my heels and pulled at my hair. A latch, how big of an idiot could I be?

"Aw." I looked at my hand. There was a small cut between my fingers.

It was always the tiny ones that hurt the most. I sucked on the spot and rose to my feet. The house was mostly dark, except for the main hallway had a dim light. I went to the men's section of the bathroom. Three poles with shower heads were spaced around the area. I took off my shorts and tossed them in the bin of dirty clothes.

I washed up and went to the stacks of clothes. Everything here was made for farm hands and our waist sizes were a bit different. I took the smallest shorts I could find. I pulled them up as the door opened. Jumping, I turned around.

A group of men entered. They seemed to be ignoring me. Keeping my head down, I left the room. Soft voices came from down the hall. I wandered down and peered into what looked to be the cafeteria. Tables were squeezed together with very little room between each one. Only a few people were left talking.

"Milo," said a voice down the hall.

I turned to face Julie.

"You missed dinner. Everything has already been put away."

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "I wanted to finish the flower beds."

She folded her arms. "Tomorrow get your chores done faster. There's nothing I can do tonight, but it'll only cause me problems if you end up fainting."

"Sorry."

Julie shook her head. "Off to bed."

I slipped past her and headed upstairs. My stomach started to growl. I'd rather be a little hungry than leave a job unfinished. Going to my room, I climbed up onto the top bunk and pulled the thin blanket over my head. I'd do better tomorrow. For a first day here, it hadn't been too bad.