Chapter 41: By Water (Collin)

"We have check points on highways leveling the capital." The team leader pointed to the areas on the map. "They have between a one or two-hour head start before you noticed they were missing. If humans are involved, most likely they are heading south to the Red Zone."

"What about over here?" Axil motioned to the other side of the map. "They could have gone east to the bay and went by boat to open waters."

"We're looking into it. A team is looking over the local docks' surveillance cameras."

"My bet is this." The beta tapped a finger on the blue areas. "To drive to the free human territory offers too many chances of being caught. It's over a day drive and even taking the back roads, they have a high possibility of being caught. Judah has already informed the local packs to keep a close eye on the roads going through their territories." Axil nodded. "If we have any extra werewolves, have them focus on the docks along the coast further south. If they went by water, they're going to be heading to Florida and them cut across the lower human territory to get to Houston."

The team leader nodded. "I'll relay your orders. Your plane is ready whenever you want to leave, sir."

Axil nodded. "You're all dismissed. Let me know of any updates and tell my brother to head over to the airport."

"Yes, sir."

The other werewolves filed out of the room. I stood against the wall and watched the beta. Up until now, I have never seen his real power. He had an entire underground organization that he was running. I doubted Judah even cared what Axil did with it. The alpha was so busy with official pack duties.

Axil stood and went to a black cabinet. "Do you want a drink?"

"Yeah, I'll take one."

He motioned to the armchair across the coffee table from him. I sat down as the beta poured a few shots and carried over a tray.

"How are you taking it?"

"It's crazy all of this is going on and no one knows about it," I replied.

Axil shrugged. "Someone has to make sure the humans don't grow too strong."

"That's true. Has it always been the beta's job?"

"More or less." Axil threw back a shot.

I did the same.

"The beta before me ran the whole thing. Other leaderships pairs shared the responsibility more. But with the pack getting so big, the alpha is needed elsewhere. Beta is a high rank but you're still second. Not that I'm complaining. Judah can have the title and be forced to go to pointless parties every weekend. I'm not a political man. If there's a problem, I will fix it. I don't care what it takes, my pack comes first."

I nodded. "That's the expected mentality of the beta."

Axil picked up another glass. "I'm going to find Jedrek and this time, I will kill the ones who took him. They got away the first time but they won't be so lucky. I've killed human for less. If they turn out to be werewolves, they'll be thrown in the same grave as the filthy humans. These attacks on my mate are going to come to an end."

"I hope so." I did another and winced at the strong taste. "Milo has become pretty good friends with Jed. Being human-born has helped them relate to each other, since personality-wise..." I let out a deep breath.

Axil chuckled to himself. "I need to start looking for a nanny. I can already see those two in a panic when the pups get here."

I smiled. "A nanny isn't a bad idea."

***

(Milo)

We were led off the boat toward a big metal building. It was a warehouse filled with humans. My eyes landed on a couple light-colored werewolves chained to the wall.

"Throw the beta's mate in one of the holding cells. Take the omega and put it with the others."

"Jed! Jed!" I struggled to get away from the humans.

"Milo!"

I couldn't see him but I could hear him.

"Jed!"

They forced me down a side hallway. The thick metal door swung shut, blocking out Jed's voice. I shuffled along with them as my ears twitched from side to side. Where was I? What they going to do with me?

I was taken to a small windowless room. They snapped a cuff around my ankle that had a chain connected to the wall and left me there. Other werewolves were huddled around the room. I sat down and brought my knees to my chest. It was time for Collin to get here. Jed kept saying they were on their way. That they'd be here any minute. Well, time was up and I wanted to go home.

"You have a mate." The boy next to me motioned to my shoulder.

The faint pink dots could barely be seen under my fur.

I nodded.

"Did they send you away?"

"No, I was taken."

The golden werewolf sighed and laid his head back down. "If they stop his heart, you'll feel it."

"Stop his heart?"

"That's how you get read of the bond. A guy last week had it happen. He started crying hysterically and none of us understood why. He had been missing for a few months so I guess his mate gave up on looking and got the procedure done."

I felt like crying myself. Who would ever agree to such a horrible thing? Collin would never do that to me. He'd keep looking. I was finding it hard to keep it together as the different scenarios played through my head. If he never found me and our pup turned out to be low in rank, the alpha might make him cut his losses. I'd be all alone. An omega without a mate was a dangerous position to be in. Turning my head away from the boy, I wiped my face.

If that happened, I might as well be a slave back at the estate. Collin would come. I knew with all my heart that he would find me. I just hoped he didn't take too long.

***

Two humans entered. The werewolves around me pressed into the wall.

"Take the silver one. We haven't worked with it yet."

The taller human undid the chain from the hook. "Get up."

I did so.

"I don't think this one will be very hard to tame." He lifted my muzzle.

"It's still a werewolf. Taming and breaking are two different things."

"You're not going to cause any problems, are you?" asked the man.

Swallowing hard, I glanced at the other subs. They looked terrified.

"Let's go."

They led me from the room and down the corridor. I stepped into a room with stone tile. There was blood on the floor. My chest tightened at the sight and I staggered back.

"Get over here."

I was jerked forward and moved away from the men.

"I'll leave you to it," said the shorter human as he left the room. "I'm going to get another one." He closed the door behind him.

The man put on a leather coat and gloves before taking a whip out of a plastic box. Was he going to hit me with that!? What had I done wrong? I had followed like they asked. I had done everything they said.

He unraveled it. "Don't take it a personal, pup. Unless you get a taste, you have nothing to fear."

"No— I didn't..." I clambered to get away.

The whip sliced into my arm and back. I screamed with what little air I could get into my lungs. It burned. I had felt the sting of a whip before but never had it left my skin searing with a pain that raced through my body. I was struck twice more on the back, leaving me gasping for air.

"Hmm... you have must have mated recently. A few more days"—he drew back the whip—"and I'll start getting the response I want."